Cannon Beach or Manzanita

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to spend 3 days at the beach after visiting Portland and can't decide between the two beaches. What is the difference between the two places?
We are interested in good seafood restaurants, staying at a beachfront hotel(not 500dollars a nite)
And walking the beach and perhaps a beach bonfire.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 06:44 AM

Cannon Beach has many more options of all kinds than Manzanita, and it has Haystack Rock.

HTtY
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 10:06 AM

When you are going affects rates greatly, so hard to say. Cannon Beach is expensive but you can easily get something for less than $500 a night.

Manzanita is very small and there are only two places sort of on the beach, one a cheap motel. Definitely both below $500 a night. There aren't a lot of restaurants in town, it's very small. There are a couple that serve some seafood dishes among other things.

There aren't very many hotels right on the beach at Cannon Beach, either, actually. But more options in both ways. I stayed at one that was and is very nice. Even in peak season (summer), it's most expensive room is only about $300, so your price range is no problem at all. I stayed at Lands End http://www.landsendcb.com/

You can walk on the beach in either place, I don't know about bonfires.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Surfsand at Cannon Beach. They provide bonfires. Go there! Great view of Haystack rock, too.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Dukey1 think I like your suggestion and Wayfarer restaurant seems good too.
Did you eat there?
Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 07:50 PM

We live just 90 minutes from Cannon Beach and go fairly often. Our go to spot there is the Surfsand, and we have been going there for about 20 years and it never a fails to please us. It is right on the water but a short walk to downtown as well as a short walk to Haystack Rock. There are quite a few other hotels right on the water. Schooner Cove is one and we have stayed there too. It was nice but not quite the Surfsand.

Manzanita is a nice enough town, but I prefer to go for the day. The one motel that is across the street from the ocean is a dump IMO based upon our study there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 07:52 PM

BTW we have eaten at the Wayfarer numerous times and yes it is good. It is also one of the few restaurants in town with an ocean view.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all....Surfsand it is
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Cornelius,
I've visited both but much prefer Manzanita. Cannon Beach is too touristy and developed for my tastes. The beach is very beautiful however.

I like the vrbo properties in Manzanita and have one that I've rented 3 times now. Last trip we found an excellent restaurant, The Terra Cotta Cafe. I would highly recommend it!
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Of Cannon Beach and Manzanita I recommend Cannon Beach for first time visitors--it has more to offer. And, beautiful Ecola State Park is nearby.

However, of Cannon Beach and Newport, I much prefer Newport. The dollar goes further there, it has a colorful working waterfront (whale watching), and it is a short drive to one of the most beautiful stretches of the Oregon coast (from the Seal Caves to Yachts).

The Hallmark in Newport has great rooms right on the ocean. Compare the cost of three nights there to three nights in Cannon Beach.

The drive to Newport takes about one hour more than the drive to Cannon Beach.