Search

Tucson in February

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson in February

My husband and I (active adults in our 50's) will be spending 4 weeks in Arizona during Feb/Mar to avoid the cold weather in NY. We enjoy biking, hiking, and scenic drives. We also enjoy walking around small shops. We were thinking of staying in Tucson. Can someone recommend a safe and quiet neighborhood for us to look into to rent a house? Ideally, we would like to be within 30 minutes driving of hiking trails. Should we consider spending 2 weeks in Tucson and 2 weeks in Phoenix or is there enough for us to do in Tucson for 4 weeks? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 06:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a home in Tucson and avoid going to Phoenix with it's traffic and sprawl.
What do you like to do? Hiking is great, lots of golf and tennis.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM

Housing in Tucson needs to be reserved yesterday as the gem show creates huge demand.

We have spent mid February to mid March in Tucson for the past few winters.
We don't care for Phoenix at all, so for us it is no contest.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM

<is there enough for us to do in Tucson for 4 weeks?>
I agree, it depends on what you like to do, although you do say you like biking and hiking.

I would recommend going south of Tucson, to San Xavier del Bac, Kartchner Caverns, hiking in the Huachuca Mountains--maybe stay a couple of nights down there or make multiple day trips from Tucson. The Chiricahuas, a bit farther on, are magnificent.

In Tucson, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is my number one must-see. Mount Lemmon, Saguaro, Tohono Chul are also terrific to check out.

Have you seen Sedona and the Grand Canyon? You could take a weekend trip from Tucson, if not.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:59 AM

While I am not a fan of the desert museum , as most are ( to me it is a glorified expensive zoo and I hate zoos) we keep busy in and near Tucson for a month easily. There are gorgeous hikes everywhere.

Sedona may or may not be a good idea in Feb depending on snow, same for Bisbee, which is fun.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your recommendations of places to visit. We have been to Sedona and the Grand Canyon and would not be including those locations in this trip.
We would be spending a lot of time on this trip hiking and visiting the typical tourist attractions to familiarize us with the area. In which part of Tucson do you suggest we rent a house? Are there neighborhoods that we should avoid?
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

jubilada: Do you rent a home? Do you recommend the neighborhood where you stay?
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

To summarize my question, should we rent a house in Eastside, the Catalina Foothills, Northwest Tucson, or Westside?
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM

We use to live at the foot of the Catalina's between Westward Ho Resort and the Westin and loved the area. Plenty of nice restaurants and shops, not too far from downtown and convenient to hiking and other activities. I think it's the prettiest area in Tucson with the mountains so close and the city lights at night.

BTW you'll have no problem keeping busy for a month and without going very far either.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

historytraveler, your response is exactly what I was looking for! It is very helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM

A rental agency you can contact is Foothills Properties.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 01:40 PM

BTW, you'll want to be on the south side of the Catalina's, not the west side. Too much traffic on Oracle Rd. It's always been a busy road, and I even rode my bike along it when we lived inTucson, but it's gotten much worse recently with all the build-up on that side. I think you'll be happier if you stay a bit east of Oracle and even as far east as Sabino Canyon.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 08:50 AM

I like the west side, myself, as it has less gated communities and golf courses and has a real feel of the dessert, and seems more diverse,friknisht, so it depends on your tastes.

We rented homes our first two winters, one on the west side and one in the foothills. Both homes has beautiful views and we're beautiful but we preferred the first one. Last winter and this, because we were staying longer and needed to be more economical we rented a one bedroom casita on River road, a busy area, but because of the location it is very quiet.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:18 AM

River Road is fine. It's just having to use Oracle Rd very much, especially the northern part, that's a PIA.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:48 AM

If you like interesting shops take a run out to Tubac. I was there a couple weeks ago, had been before, had a fabulous lunch at a great Mexican restaurant. They also had burgers and fries, my SO is not a Mexican food fan.

I picked up a gorgeous pair of glass earrings, some wind chimes made by one of the tribes, a metal Javilina for the garden, and some Mexican pots for my cactus and succulents. All the prices were very reasonable. There is a lot of Mexican folk art in the shops there and I have a great painted cat my SO got me for my birthday.

So, not sure if that interests you, but it makes a fun day for me. There also are some art pieces, jewelry, sculptures that are just fabulous, but also very expensive, as they should be. I would kill to be rich and have a big house. LOL

I love the Desert Museum but it is pretty expensive. Didn't cost us anything because my brother and SIL are members and get a yearly pass at a huge discount and they use it when they have guests.

There is also a tram that goes up Sabino Canyon. It is very beautiful there and the number and shapes and sized of the Saguaro cactus is really incredible.

There is also a huge new shopping center being finished in Marana and it will be completed and open by the time you are in the area.

We have also taken a run out to Tombstone and it's a fun day. There is also a place that sells fabulous pecans somewhere on the road between Tucson and Tombstone.

I would certainly not have any problem filling my days as a visitor for a few weeks.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 04:53 PM

I would suggest either the foothills or the eastside. The west side might be OK, but you really have to be careful where the rental is located. Not necessarily from a safety standpoint, but from the standpoint of accessibility to things you want to see. Places in ORO Valley or even further up Oracle Road would result in a lot of driving time to see and do many things. As historytraveler said, very correctly, having to drive up and down Oracle Road is a real PIA.

For things to see and do, I have created a blog. It does need some updating, but I think it will give you a fairly comprehensive list of things to see and do around Southern Arizona.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

I found a house to rent in March in the River Walk neighborhood. It is just south of the river and the Loop, across from St. Philips Plaza. Before I book it, I was wondering if anyone knows if that is a safe and desirable neighborhood and if it is good proximity to the above mentioned places to visit. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 10:22 AM

That area is both safe and convenient. Trader Joe's is across Campbell and the River Walk adjacent. You can walk to the best Farmer's Market, Heirloom, on Sunday mornings, a short distance west at Rillito Park on 1st Ave at the River Walk. It is a short distance to the U of A and all it has to offer. Just make sure that the rental complex Isn't basically used as student housing rentals for the U of A.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Yes, great location. Also very close to El Corral, a good old-west-style steakhouse.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have spent a few dollars in Tubac, crefloors. Was the Mexican restaurant called Elvira's? I have that Javelina on my patio.

Put Madera Canyon on your list too. There are a lot of great hikes there. I have been spending a week in Tucson for several years and still feel I've only scratched the surface exploring the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -