Cannon Beach or Seaside

Search

Cannon Beach or Seaside

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannon Beach or Seaside

We will be traveling mid-September and are spending three nights on the coast. The first night near Astoria and the third night in Netarts. Would it be better to stay in Seaside or Cannon Beach in between? We are more about outdoors and the ocean than staying in town, but are not familiar with the area. Thanks for any input!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Seaside is more of your classic beach town with more "kids" stuff along the main drag: a big arcade, places to buy elephant ears and cotton candy, etc. Cannon Beach is more an "adult" town with kind of an artsy, upscale feel. Both beachs are nice but Cannon Beach has spectacular rocks; Haystack Rock is one of the most photographed scenes in Oregon. And Cannon Beach is adjacent to Ecola State Park, which is probably essential if you are into the outdoorsy stuff.

If by chance you can't find a place in Cannon Beach, the two towns are close enough that you can do most of what you want in one place while staying in the other.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM

I agree with Andrew's descriptions of the two towns, and would add that, given your preference for "outdoors", Cannon Beach probably makes the most sense. But, September is generally still considered high season, so many hotels/motels in both towns have minimum stay requirements.

Since Astoria (in particular) and Netarts are so close to either Cannon Beach or Seaside, I'm wondering why you're splitting the three nights up. Where are you headed after that?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Also agree with the above. Just visited Seaside, Cannon Beach, and Astoria in July. Stayed at the Hillcrest Inn in Seaside mainly for economy reasons. Cannon Beach prices are up to triple of Seaside.

The ambiance is like night and day. Seaside is very tacky, touristy, although it was okay since it was our first time and my young children enjoyed to attractions (Bumper Cars, Mini Golf, Arcade).

Cannon Beach is more relaxed, kind of like Carmel. Lots of artsy stuff.

Astoria is only a short drive from Seaside. We stopped at Fort Clatsup along the way which I found very interesting and educational.

Seaside also has an Outlet Mall and a Safeway.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM

We prefer Cannon Beach, and most of those who know who don't like the Cannon Beach scene prefer Manzanita rather than Seaside.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM

We love spending time in Seaside at our beach cottage. There is a new complex in Seaside called the Rivertide Suites you may want to check into, very pretty rooms there with an indoor pool also. There is the Necanicum River that runs through the town, the historic Gilbert District for shopping and the scenic Ave U area. Lots of great places to dine in Seaside, also. The Seaside Inn is another place to consider, right on the prom with oceanviews.

Ten minutes away is Cannon Beach, this is also a nice area of the northern coast with Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. What is your budget? The Stephanie Inn is a nice oceanfront place to stay, next door is the Ocean Lodge that is also very pretty. We visited Netarts a few weeks ago, very pretty area of the coast with LOTS of pelican out on the water. Nearby Oceanside is also very pretty.

Where are you staying near Astoria? It's only 20 minutes away from Seaside and 30 minutes away from Cannon Beach. Let me know if you would dining recs for Astoria, we have a home there and have been traveling to the area for over 20 years! ***kim***
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's great input! I am actually going out of town for the rest of the week and so I don't have time to ask more question now. I will probably be asking for more info next week. Thanks!