Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Canon Beach, Newport, Yachats: what do u prefer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Joyce

If you had one night to stay in Oregon's coast what town would you choose and why?: Canon Beach, Newport or Yachats? Also, can you recommend a nice but not too pricey B&B or hotel/motel?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Lee

Hi. We live in Washington and travel down the Oregon coast all the time. We have friends who own a house on the ocean in Yachats and love going there. It's a small "town" with only a few stores, so you go more for the quiet and walking on the beach and looking for agates experience.

Newport is much larger. It has an old town on the wharf that we enjoy visiting, as well as a neat aquarium, but we prefer to drive there for the day from Yachats.
We also love Cannon Beach, but it's much different from and larger than Yachats. It has several great restaurants and artist galleries. I think Cannon Beach has a more "romantic feel" than Yachats, feels like a village, and has way more choices of motels and B@B's than Yachats. Yachats only has a couple of small resorts, although they are quite nice. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Sara

We stay in Newport every Thanksgiving. I love the old town, has some nice and some touristy shops. Newport has tons of great beaches.

I think Cannon Beach might be described as an "artsy" community. It has lots of art galleries. While I don't think it is necessarily touristy I think it gets more tourists because of its proximity to Portland.

I have no idea why people like Yachats (ya-hots) so much. I am going to have to explore it more thoroughly. Maybe it is the small village feel. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad place, I just often see people on here rhapsodizing over it and I just think it is a little town on the beach.

A resource I love for bed and breakfasts: http://www.bbexplorer.com/
We stay at the Embarcadero in Newport and I recommend it. Most condos have kitchen which helps save money.

I can't really say choose one over another but perhaps a good way to choose would be to figure your proximity to other things. If you are mostly in Portland, stay in Cannon Beach, if you are in the midvalley then either Yachats or Newport would be fine.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:44 AM
beachbum

Never had a reason to stop at Yachats, so I haven't!

Newport is an older fishing town that's made a reasonable transition to tourism. There are probably more things to see than either Yachats or Cannon Beach (aquarium, lighthouse). But the beaches aren't as nice, and the shopping is generally kitschy.

Cannon Beach, historically just a place where a bunch of folks had beach houses, has developed into an artsy, upscale beach community with decent restaurants, accommodations, and shopping. And with Haystack Rock, the beach is one of the most scenic on the OR coast. It would be my choice. If you're traveling as a couple, Stephanie Inn would be tops; if as a family, the SurfSand resort is nice. They're both on the high end of the market. For lesser priced, but still nice and on the beach, check out the Hallmark Inn or the Major Motel.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:23 PM
martha

You mentioned the Hallmark property in Cannon Beach. Is it really a lot "below" the SurfSand....it looks really nice on their print ads.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Marion

We've been traveling the coast on business for many years and have stayed at literally 100+ motels and B&Bs all over the Oregon coast. Of the 3 places you mention I myself would wish to visit them in this order of choice
1. Yachats 2. Newport 3. Canon Beach.
I've been in Canon Beach 3 times in the past 2 months and it certainly has become a crowded place from May to mid Sept. Too crowded for my taste really.
Newport has the great aquarium and a good central location with some commuinity theater, more choices in places to eat and also the famous Canyon Way bookstore.
And of course the Sylvia Beach Hotel. But I would choose Yachats because the scenery on the beach is the best of these 3 (going south a bit the scenery gets to be truly great) and there are far less people (and despite what someone above says there are actually over 15 motels and B&Bs in Yachats and I've stayed in most of them at one time).

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:56 PM
kameha

Hi Joyce, we just got back from Yachats and I totally recommend it. It is all of the things that have already been said - laid back, gorgeous, small village with friendly people. It's true there are only a small number of hotel places but there is a wide choice of homes/apartments for rent thru ocean odyssey. We stayed in a two bedroom unit right on the coast. it was affordable and great.
We went to Newport for a day and really disliked it. Way too touristy for us, just my opinion though. I also didn't think it was pretty place. I hear Cannon Beach is beautiful and artsy, but haven't been. It's my friend's favorite place, though. Wherever you go have a great time.