Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any fave alternative to Cannon Beach that's close-by? Does CB seem a victim of hype, to you?

Search

Any fave alternative to Cannon Beach that's close-by? Does CB seem a victim of hype, to you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a quick stay in Cannon Beach, 4 yrs back. A brief overnight, so perhaps that was the problem.

But after having travelled up the quieter NorCal/So Oregon coastline...
it seemed almost over-developed to us, at the time. (or to me)

It was thronging w/people, too. (as we made our way out of town due to the necessity of moving on) Perhaps it's a town best appreciated only when one has enough time to slow down a lot & take part in the art or stores or...?

Wondering if anyone else has ever had this impression? What's odd is...it wasn't even full summer yet. Was simply a wknd day in May...not Memorial Day. But the town was in gridlock (the little streets) w/traffic & people flooded the streets & beach.

Maybe again it just seemed so hectic after the quieter areas like Heceta Head, I don't know. So, now that I'm considering driving the whole Oregon coast (but again w/a major time constraint)...is there anywhere else fairly close to Cannon Beach that you'd recommend, as nice?

Names I've come across recently are: Manzanita...Wheeler/Newhalem area...
and Astoria. We drove past Astoria last time. Seemed kind of 'gritty' that day, but again, maybe I was just in a lousy mood that afternoon, who knows? ;-)

Some of my 'romance' travel books seem to rate Astoria & Cannon Beach off the charts! Anyone ever stay at the Old Wheeler Hotel? Or, have a fave spot like I said fairly close to Cannon Beach but not right there? (as that region makes sense as a logistical overnight for us)

Hmmm...maybe we should simply give Cannon Beach another try. I think we may have stayed at a new lodge then, that looked a LOT like the Stephanie Inn. Was quite nice...Ocean something?

I guess w/just the one haystack there...albeit a HUGE one...I simply was surprised it was so, so busy, since southern Oregon coast, too, is just gorgeous & seems to offer a little less of the frenzied shopping vibe I was picking up in CB that day. Don't get me wrong. I like quaintness more than strip mall style town development. Big-time!

Just wondering if Cannon Beach has begun to lose some of its perhaps earlier charms,
due to the crowds? Please forgive me if I've offended anyone. No intention to.
As said, maybe our stay was just too hurried. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Gosh...I don't want to nay-say Cannon Beach, if it's the best in the area.
And timing-wise it seems to make a lot of sense for our drive.

This time we'd hit it on a weekday, at least. Maybe quieter.

Peeked at Nehalem River Inn...sounds like great food, but might not be open when we'd hit the area on a Wed or Thurs. But the river sounds nice for exploring.

The place we stayed last time in CB was Ocean Lodge, I think. Sounded like it was so much like the Stephanie, that we went that route, I think, since it was still new & having promo rates, I think.

Inn at Manzanita...maybe too contemporary for our tastes...too apartment-like? I did see some cottages mentioned in Wheeler too...
but again, we don't really need a condo set-up and someone's review sounded like they might be more like that.

Well, any rec's most welcome! Maybe Astoria would be different, I don't know. If we do 2 nights on a river (near Gold Beach)...one night on the coast near Florence if possible (maybe Heceta Head)...and then, go to a town feel? Or we could do the town of Florence, itself, too...and then,
go for the ocean again w/Nor Oregon coast. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM

We rented a house on the beach in Cannon Beach for three days in September a couple years ago.

We had kind of the opposite experience. It wasn't crowded, and the beach was quiet. It was a great vacation.

Maybe it's time of year? I've also spent some time in Astoria, Gearhart and Seaside, but in the summer (June and July). Gearhart was the least crowded. Cannon Beach is my favorite town of the four towns. I love Haystack rock.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Well at least it doesn't look like Seaside! ;-)

I've been going to Cannon Beach since the late '60s, and you're right, it only faintly resembles the town it was back then. The town's almost always crowded now (though the beach rarely is). Yet, it's my family's first choice for our regular trips to the beach.

If beach front accommodations are a priority, Cannon Beach is still your best bet. You were at Ocean Lodge last time, next door to Stephanie Inn. SurfSand Resort is another good option. You might look at Manzanita, but it's becoming a mini-Cannon Beach, without the wide choice of accommodations. Other towns to consider would be Gearhart, just north of Seaside, or Oceanside, west of Tillamook. Decent accommodations in both those towns are tough too.

Stick with your first impression on Astoria, very much a working port town. Nice victorian homes and a few historical sites/attractions, but you'll drive 10 miles to the nearest beach.

I've never stayed in Wheeler because.... well, I'd rather be in Cannon Beach! But the old hotel there is appealing, in a funky, nostalgic kind of way.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Cannon Beach is a favorite of ours. It can get crowded in the summer, but also if we have a nice weekend any other time of year, it will get crowded as everyone wants to flock to the coast if we have a nice day. Since it is only 90 minutes from Portland, it is an easy day trip and so lures many people.

Anyway, try it again, it really is a great town. Our favorite spot to stay is the Surfsand Resort, which is right near Haystack Rock. Their oceanfront building was just remodeled this year and the other buildings will be finished very soon.

Cannon Beach is definitely one of the nicest towns in the area. Manzanita is nice too. Seaside and Astoria...I personally don't care for them.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM

LOL, of course Beachbum and I were posting at the same time. Great minds...
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Let me pretend that I am another great mind too lol...
I second Cannon Beach..the "hype" in this case ( which I haven't really noticed) I think is justified.
The place is SO clean, the stores are charming and enough of them to keep you busy browsing and shopping if you are so inclined. There are plenty of places to just walk and look in at galleries and stop in many places to have a bite to eat.
It is pretty.
Seaside/Astoria..eh~
If you want to look between CB and Manzanita, we stayed at the Inn at Arch Cape about 10 miles south on 101 from CB..the rooms have fireplaces and huge beds, that was all that was important to me at the time lol..and you are about a block or less from the ocean/rocky beach.
I loved it there and I love CB
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! Guess it's worth a 2nd try. (altho' again won't do it justice or 'get in the groove' like is sometimes necessary to fully appreciate a spot)

I read today (after posting) it's sometimes called the "Carmel of the North"...and I suppose it did sort of seem like that, in a way.
Carmel on a weekend can seem quite different than on a quiet weekday, where the charm factor definitely outweighs any irritations that might emerge from so many visitors. (often seemingly only interested in shopping, it seems) ;-)

I'll look into the SurfSand then, too based on your recomendations...and Arch Cape. Don't need big beds, per se...but I know what you mean. Sometimes one's priorities DO steer one towards fireplaces, jacuzzi's, etc. Thanks again!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

I have lived in Oregon for over 30 years, including living at the beach for 1 1/2 years.

Cannon Beach is one of the last places I think of going when I want to escape from Portland for a nice weekend. It is charming but way too crowded and overdeveloped for my taste.

I go to the beach to escape the maddness, not seek it out.

One of my favorite beaches is Neskowin, which has its own Haystack Rock. They limit development so it is a beautiful, quaint little pocket between Lincoln City and Pacific City.

Although it doesn't have lots of restaurants or shops, I don't go to the beach for these things. If I do feel like shopping I can drive to Lincoln City and hit the Outlet Mall. I can also head north to Cape Kiwanda, another favorite spot, to climb around on the huge dune and then head back down to the Pelican Brewery for a nice cold beer and great food.

There is also a very beautiful scenic hike at Cascade Head.

I always stay at The Chelan Condos. They are right on the beach with a great view of "Haystack" Rock and the ocean.

I am heading there again for my birthday in April for a long, relaxing 3 day weekend. Ahhhhh...

You can see a few photos of this area on my photo site www.windjammer.smugmug.com.

Here is a link to the Chelan:

http://www.oregoncoast.com/greyfox/

During winter weekend you stay 3 nights and only pay for 2!!! No cleaning deposit either and the condos are very nice!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I liked Rockaway Beach, south of Cannon, when my wife visited there in 1995. But a lot can happen in five years.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM

Gearhart, just north of Seaside is nice and accessible to other places, but a quiet little town. They don't like tourism there, so only one great little restaurant.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread so apologies, if necessary, to Daydreamer..but we were thinking of spending this coming Thanksgiving in Orgeon with a couple of days at the beach and a couple in Portland.

We were looking at the Hallmark resort.

Can anyone comment on that? i am wondering what Thanksgiving Day itself would be like at the beach...for me it would be great NOt to have to cook for a bunch of other people for a change.

Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM

Dukey, it may be a busy time at the coast because many families from Portland go to the coast to celebrate. Quite a few people here in PDX have relatives that live at the beach.

Weather wise it is quite likely to be wet during that time of the year but also getting close to peak whale watching time so you might see whales migrating.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM

We have a beach cottage in Seaside and love the area. Cannon Beach is about 10 minutes away from us, we go there quite often to dine, shop, surf at Indian Beach. Have you been to Manzanita? It's a less touristy little beach town that has a lot of charm and is very pretty.

Gearhart is about 5 minutes away from us in Seaside, there isn't much there but the beach is very pretty and the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe is where we are regulars in the summer.

We also love Astoria, we have been vacationing there in our little home for a long, long time. The town has been through many changes over the past 5 years and is becoming a very hot tourist destination spot. The Maritime Museum, the Astor Column, the Riverfront Trolley, the Flavel House have all helped put Astoria on the map for tourism. The scenery is gorgeous with the Columbia River right there. The town is very friendly and they have recently built the Pier 39 which will have art galleries, lodging and a couple of restaurants. ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM

As much as one can be a "regular" a week a year.

Daydreamer, when posters mention surfing in the ocean at Cannon Beach, I think you might take that with a grain of salt ( or beach sand ) lol...If you stick your foot into the water, it will come out blue, so if you are a surfer and have a good wetsuit for cold water surfing, bring it.
So back to the subject, a friend told me that she uses Coast Cabins in Manzanita, here is the link to give you ideas
http://www.coastcabins.com/
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM

I haven't seen surfing at Cannon Beach, but I like to go to Oswald West State Park (a few miles south) to watch the surfers--lots of them.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM

I've grown to enjoy Astoria over the last few years. The downtown is very retro - looks like it hasn't change much since the 1970s (although it has). I love the Danish Maid bakery in town - neat little place, seems like a bakery out of the 1950s.

But Astoria is *not* a beach town - it's an old port town which, to me, is charming because it feels like an authentic town, not a tourist trap (although the place is doing its best to attract tourists). By contrast, Cannon Beach doesn't look like a place anyone would live (even though people do live there) - it feels like a quaint tourist destintation. That said, the beach is beautiful and of course very photogenic. It's certainly a more interesting beach than Seaside. Last week I was out at Cannon Beach's beach at low tide and you could walk up close to the "do not go any further" signs on Haystack Rock, and you could see dozens of starfish up there clinging to the rocks - very cool.

Cannon Beach is sometimes very crowded but certainly not always. If it's been raining in Portland for two weeks straight and we get a nice sunny day (maybe the last one forcast for the next two weeks), Portlanders may overrun the place that day, even off season. Cannon Beach and Seaside are the closest coast towns to Portland so that's to be expected.

So whether you might prefer Cannon Beach to Astoria depends on what kind of place you seek - they aren't the same kind of place at all.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

Andrew I agree, the Danish Maid Bakery is great. The people that own it live just a few houses down from us in Astoria. We like to stop there for coffee and pasteries when we are shopping in downtown Astoria.

I think the Ave U area and the Seaside Cove are very scenic areas of Seaside. I love Tillamook Head there with the rolling white water waves. The razor clamming was very good there when we stayed at the Tides by the Sea last June. We also enjoy crabbing off of the 12th Street Bridge by the little market there. ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM

happytrails, do you live in Oregon? I thought for some reason that you lived in Seattle
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Hi daydreamer, we just returned from the Oregon Coast and spent a wonderful, sunny afternoon at Ecola State Park. A very nice place for a picnic, we enjoyed walking around the trails and photographing Haystack Rock. Shrimp cocktails at Mo's was great fun, our server was very nice.

We also enjoyed Fort Clatsop which is now completely re-built and open to the public. Astoria has Pier 39 which has beautiful views of the Columbia River, we enjoyed salmon cakes and clam chowder at the new Rogue Public House there. There is also wine tasting now at the Silver Salmon Grille, they offer a variety of nice wines from Merryvale. Everything we tasted was very good there. ***kim***