Cafe Edison to close....

Nov 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Cafe Edison to close....

The iconic Cafe Edison (aka Polish Tea Room) is closing in about a month - the Edison Hotel is not renewing their lease. This follows their pattern of closing Sofia's and the original Rum House bar.
The cafe is an institution in the Times Square area, known for affordable diner fare and a haven for actors, writers, hotel guests, tourists and theater types of all genres.
Many have already been lamenting its passing; some see it a decline in the social makeup of the City which also accounts for the Disneyish theme park style of the TS area.
Another NYC landmark gone - the cafe's owner is looking for another location - but how can you revive a tradition somewhere else?
Nov 6th, 2014, 02:56 PM

Ok, at the risk of being skewered here, I'll say it. I ate there once. It makes places like Applebee's seem gourmet. New places like the fabulous Urbo at 42nd and 8th show how great food at reasonable prices can be done. Some call that "Dsneyesque" while I call it progress. Sorry, but I won't be shedding any tears over a mediocre diner no matter what the nostalgia factor is supposed to elicit.
Nov 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Great corned beef hash. We'll miss it.
Nov 7th, 2014, 04:49 AM

Cafe Edison was great for the things that it did well, but it was otherwise a diner. Still, I'd much rather than 10 Cafe Edisons (even mediocre ones) than another expensive upscale restaurant, which is something we don't need. Besides, this isn't an area that's particularly suitable to a fine-dining experience. It's too crowded and noisy. The "name" chef will probably be Guy Fieri or someone else from the Food Network.
Nov 7th, 2014, 04:56 AM

I agree, Doug, except that I found Cafe Edison just a very mediocre diner -- truly it reminded me of a Denny's more than anything. Maybe it's just me. Brooklyn Diner, in the same general area does a much better job in my opinion. And the above mentioned Urbo (in the downstairs Kitchens) to me is a more up to date take on a diner -- not a "fine dining experience", but worth a stop for casual food and drink.

But you are probably right -- it WILL BE replaced with an attempt at fine dining. Although it's hard for me to picture Guy Fieri doing "fine dining" after I got horribly sick trying to eat his food at that new place of his on 44th.
Nov 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

So, NeoPatrick - you never 'got sick' at the Cafe Edison?

I get sick just driving by Denny's.......! !

Posted this as a reminder to those looking for a classic NYC coffee shop/diner.

I know this is far from gourmet fare - it's "diner" food, plain & simple.

I did have breakfast there last week - before I knew of the imminent demise.

Hope other travelers find the information useful!

Lumpy
Nov 8th, 2014, 09:18 PM

OMG, the Rum Bar is closed???? That was my favorite small bar with live music and no cover. I have gone there on almost every trip to NYC for years. That is a terrible loss.
Nov 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM

I googled the Rum bar and it is still open and I can not find anything about it closing....
Nov 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Rum Bar is still open - new management, I think, changed the decor a little - however to my knowledge it is still serving customers.
Nov 10th, 2014, 06:46 PM

I travel to places to experience what makes them unique. The Café Edison is one of those basic places that provides character and tradition and helps to make NYC, NYC.

If you would like to help save this institution, I found a petition on Change.org. to sign:

http://www.change.org/p/richard-hott...he-cafe-edison
Nov 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM

Crime, dirt, rats and trash in the Subway are other things that some say "helps make NYC NYC" also but let's get real here. What does noise OUTSIDE a restaurant which I assume actually has windows have to do with the quality of food and the "dining experience" inside or is that another one of those "you wouldn't understand because you aren't from New York" things?
Nov 11th, 2014, 04:01 AM

Sadly we lose another piece of "Old New York." Soon all we will have are slick & trendy places that could be built anywhere, the city will be faceless.
Nov 11th, 2014, 05:00 AM

The subway system may be dirty but last year it carried over 1.7 billion riders last year in the safest large city in the country. Crime is the punch line from 30 year old stale jokes.
Nov 11th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Granted NYC is not Switzerland clean. Nor so regimented and orderly (which can become incredibly boring).

NYC is noisy (9 million people living very busy lives is not a quiet thing), parts are dirty (although we're trying), but it is lively, fascinating, has an incredible number of resources and unique opportunities for everyone- and is NOT boring.

As for crime - this is the safest large city in the country.

And the subway can't be pretty - parts have been around since the 1860s, it runs 24/7/365 and carries almost 2 billion riders a year. It may not be pretty (but they're working on that too) - but is the lifeline of the city - and is fast, cheap and efficient.