Reload this Page >

Williamburg - great food at great prices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:18 AM
patriot

Just got back from Williamsburg. Thanks to everyone for your dining recommendations.

Here is the low-down: best BBQ is definitely Pierce's. Order the ribs on the bone, as opposed to pulled. On the bone is sweeter, and the pulled has too much BBQ sauce, although both were tasty. Their fries were terrific, but their hush puppies were marginal. The price is unbeatable as well.

For an amazing seafood meal, we asked one of the Colonial workers for a recommendation that the locals go to. He was right on the money - Back Fin Restaurant off of Route 199 and Tyler Parkway was just delicious. Some of the best salmon I ever had, and the hush puppies were an 8 out of 10. The pricing was unbeatable as well, plus it was a very nice casual atmosphere and friendly staff. No tourists!

Went to Chownings for dinner. You have to do one meal in Colonial Williamsburg. The famous Brunswick Stew was pretty good - a 6 out of 10. If you order the Stew, dessert is included (not so with the other entrees), and the peanut pie was perfect. Heard that the lamb shank was excellent but didn't try it.

For a quick meal, go to the College of William & Mary's Center Court cafeteria on the weekends. The lunch/brunch was fantastic ! I wish my college meals were like this. Not only was there brunch, but lots of selections for hot foods, plus a very healthy salad and soup bar, fruit smoothie stand, and even a soy milk option. It is $6.50 per person, which is a total bargain!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
r-travels

Just got back from Wburg too, and wish I'd seen your posting. Pierce's is great, and I liked Chownings, but the W&M outlet sounds GREAT, and even tho I don't like fish much, I'll try Back Fin next time, if only for the hushpuppies!

I could not believe that the spot on Merchants' Square once occupied by "A Good Place to Eat" was still vacant, with a sign saying it's the new home of the Cheese Shop. That was the situation last spring ... they went with that place empty all summer.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
patriot

Hi RB,

Glad that you liked it too. Yes, next time check out the William and Mary cafeteria Center Court for brunch/lunch - it was great. I recall that Back Fin had menu items other than seafood too.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:00 AM
ddd

RB,

Colonial Wmburg and the merchants have never been particularly savvy or swift about the management of Merchant Square. I do know that in addition to being the new and expanded home of the Cheese Shop, it will also be a sit down bistro type cafe which is being developed by the same guy who did the Blue Pointe Grill and Ocean Blvd in the Outer Banks. That's definitely good news!

So who knows what the delay has been about... Maybe it took much longer than anticipated to remove the accumulated grease and crud out of A Good Place to Eat. I've scraped better meals off the bottom of my shoe.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:20 AM
r-travels

Well, DDD, I didn't consider AGPTE fine dining by any means, but it was a reasonably priced place for people with kids to eat, and a place open later at night so that if one is waiting for the Kimball Theatre to open you could go in and have a coffee. Not all visitors to CW have the disposable income that you or I might have. Another CW decision that I can't believe is that they closed the Burger King adjacent to the visitor center. I didn't think the food at "Hizzah" was much to write home about. Again, it was only BK food, but that is EXACTLY what most of the kids like, even if that BK didn't honor most of the national promotions, such as 99cent menu & $1 whoppers, etc.

Do you know where the new bistro is to be located?