Ideas for a solo holiday in Jan/Feb 2015

Nov 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Ideas for a solo holiday in Jan/Feb 2015

Hi everyone, I have two months off in January and February 2015 and some savings but no one to travel with! Does anyone have any ideas about good solo holidays? I am interested in maybe going skiing somewhere in Canada or even doing a nature walk in Canada, and possibly also spending some time in NYC. If I were to stay in NYC on my own, does anyone know of any interesting courses (eg a writing course) or anything like that which I could enroll in? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Nov 10th, 2014, 10:58 PM
kja

Please see your other thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...anfeb-2015.cfm
Nov 10th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

I tagged the USA in this thread because I was also interested in options there.
Nov 11th, 2014, 12:04 AM

I think these are indeed 2 different threads and belong on both boards.

You make no mention of budget. 2 months in NYC is costly. Skiing will require overnight stays elsewhere. If skiing is of interest, you need to head out west. Colorado will have great skiing but maybe costly.

Consider New Mexico. It has some great skiing in Taos and Santa Fe. Lots of great museums, food, outdoor activities amd will generally be less expensive than CO.

There is Univ. of NM in Albuquerque as well as CNM, a community College. You may find a short course there and all sorts of exhibits, shows etc. Albuqueruqe has some great things to see and do.

Public transit is a bit tricky, but can be done.

Weather is cold but usually very sunny which makes it feel warmer and blue skies. Food is great too.

Something to think about....
Nov 11th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DebitNM - just to clarify, I have those two months free but I intend on travelling for three to four weeks (which could be any time in Jan or Feb). In terms of budget, roughly $12,000. I would only spend that period of time in NYC if I had a course or something to do there - otherwise I was thinking maybe two weeks skiing in Colorado or somewhere in Canada and then one week in NYC. Alternatively, some sort of nature tour in Colorado or Canada would also be ideal. Thanks again, James.
Nov 11th, 2014, 12:30 AM
kja

There's plenty to do in NYC, and you would have skiing options in / around Lake Placid.

For NYC, you might want to consider taking advantage of free / low cost lectures and / or docent-led tours rather than actual courses. Just a thought...
Nov 11th, 2014, 04:12 AM

It would help to know where you are starting from and where you have been and what your interests are, but here is a shot at it:

Weeks 1-3 A week each in Park City, Breckenridge perhaps, Taos/Santa Fe, skiing.

Week 4-5 Ft Worth for the Museums, San Antonoi for the Alamo, Austin, then New Orleans for their scenes, with a few days in Cajun Country on the way.

Week 6 Mobile, Pensacola, Apalachicola, Wakulla Springs, Savannah, Charleston

Week 7. Washington DC via Richmond

Week 8 NYC

I wouldn't make reservations more than a few days in advance anywhere except the ski areas and NYC.

These weeks are likely to blend into each other as your interests and opportunities change, and you don't want to be locked in.

I'll take a look at your Europe post as well.
Nov 11th, 2014, 06:50 AM

Nearly all of my solo trips since October 2001 have been on Amtrak and ViaRail trains.
If you can, buy a 15 day USA Rail Pass. Do not attempt to drive long distance in a rental car in winter.
If you fly between cities expect delays and a long expensive taxi ride into the city from the airport.
Cities to get to using rail transport are Glenwood Springs Colorado with a nice bus (41 miles) to Aspen which is some of the best skiing in the US.
At the west end of the California Zephyr run is San Francisco. The CZ starts in Chicago.
Chicago is also the start for "The City of New Orleans" to New Orleans (via Memphis) and the Empire Builder which splits in Spokane arriving in Seattle or Portland.
Going east from Chicago you can take the Lake Shore Limited to New York or the Capitol Limited to Washington DC.
You meet many interesting people on trains. I still have a Facebook friend that I met on my October 2001 trip which included a RT from Winnipeg to Churchill (on Hudson Bay).
Nov 11th, 2014, 06:51 AM

I think it will be tough to find a nature walk in Canada or Colorado in winter.

Big Bend National Park would be great in January or February. Lots of hiking and nature. You could combine it with a week of skiing in New Mexico.

Alternatively, look into a trip to Yellowstone National Park. You can find some tour companies to take you on a cross-country skiing trip, or a snowcoach tour. No hiking. You could go skiing in Montana afterwards.