Search

Brooklyn

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:05 AM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brooklyn

I know that this topic is much discussed but I am going to ask specific questions. We have one free day and one free afternoon in NYC. For our day we would like to go to Brooklyn and walk back over the bridge. A day means about 4 hours as it would be too tiring to walk around much more. So far we are staying at the Salisbury-best price, best location. It is really hard to get any deals on a 2 bed room.
Questions:
1.How to we get from the Salisbury to Brooklyn via subway? I know that there is a transportation website, but forget the address. What is the price for seniors?
2. What areas should we see that are near the bridge-DUMBO, etc.? I am not that concerned with restaurants because you can always find something good when you are hungry,
3. I appreciated the other post that referred to walking downhill instead of uphill. How does that fit in with what we want to do.

Thank you. I don't know how I travelled before I got info from this forum. BTW, I am cited in Fodors New York 2011 for my reference to McNally Jackson bookstore.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM

If you go to hopstop.com you will be able to determine the best ways to get between any two points by any method - and approximate cost by cab.

Have never walked the bridge - but the obvous way is from Brooklyn back to the city for the best views. DUMBO is under the Manhattan Bridge -not Brooklyn - i's the next bridge over. It's easy to remember the brides from Brooklyn to Manhatttan - BMW (Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg). Brooklyn is the most famous - and oldest.

As for downhill versus uphill - don;t know how to get onto the bridge without going uphill.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM

>>

You have no idea how glad I am to read that -- because although I've walked the Brooklyn Bridge, I've never walked the Golden Gate Bridge (despite having lived in the Bay Area for 37 years, including 13 in the city)
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM

Option 1 (depends on the time of year)
You can take the R train from 57 & 7 to Court St-Borough Hall which will put you off in Brooklyn Heights. You can walk down Montague St to the promenade (plenty of restaurants along the way. Grab a bite to go and sit at the Promenade enjoy your food and the views. Then either head down the hill to Old Fulton to the waterfront (more food stands (Red hHook Lobster Pound, Calexico), a wine bar and ice cream stands (Blue Marble and Broolyn Ice Cream Factory. There's green space and benches to rest.
Then walk along Old Fulton towards the Brooklyn Bridge using the stairs and head back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Option 2, take the C train from 59th St to High St/Brooklyn Bridge. You can cross the street and take the stairs directly to the Bridge near Cadman Plaza. Or walk towards the Promenade or down to Old Fulton (you can take the B 25 bus down to Old Fulton if you do not want to walk).
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM
ita
Original Poster

please explain about DUMBO. I thought it was an interesting place to visit. What is there to do and see there? How does it relate in distance to the Brooklyn Bridge? I guess I had better start looking at maps.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
ita
Original Poster

p.s. I just googled DUMBO-it is between the Manhatten and Brooklyn Bridges. Is this the area I would tour before walking back over the bridge?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:17 PM

DUMBO is an area with art galleries, hip stores and a few good places to eat.

Please note it is spelled Manhattan.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:45 AM

There's what I described about the water front area which is at the beginning of DUMBO and there are some art galleries, performance spaces and restaurants. Jacques Torres has his original chocolate store/factory in DUMBO.

http://brooklyn.about.com/od/brookly...ds/p/DUMBO.htm

It's a nice little area to explore. Most tourists stop at Grimaldis or the ice cream place. But the City has recently opened parts of the Brooklyn Bridge Park in Dumbo which gives you great views of Manhattan including the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

You can also rent bikes at the waterfront and take the bike path along the bridge or explore DUMBO by bike.

This of course depends on the time of year that you plan to visit. There's also a ferry on the weekends that can take you to the South Street Seaport if you decide to walk over the bridge from Manhattan but don't want to walk back. The cost of the ferry is $3.

DUMBO is about a 10 minute walk to the bridge.