Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to walk both of these bridges, the Manhattan bridge over to Brooklyn then back on the Brooklyn Bridge. Anyone have any idea how long this will take? Is this the best way to walk both of them???
Thank you
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

It can be done but most people walk the bridges for views of the Manhattan skyline so they'd walk from Brooklyn toward Manhattan. Here's a map and some info
http://www.newyorkminuteshow.com/200...klyn-and-back/

I if you have time, do them at different times. For the Brooklyn bridge, if you do it on a weekend, you can take the NYwatertaxi.com 1 stop from the South sTreet seaport over to Fulton st. in Brooklyn for about $7/person. Once on the Brooklyn side, many people like to get pizza at Grimaldi's and/or ice cream at the Brooklyn ice cream factory and/or chocolate at Jaques Torres. Other options while over there is a walk along the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, a drink at the River Cafe or some abling through DUMBO or the streets of Brooklyn Heights.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM

we did this a couple years ago and it was great. Except we could not find the chocolatier. We are goingto do this again. Can I get directions from Grimaldi's.

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM

On an October visit with my nieces we did exactly what mclaurie suggests - took the water taxi to Brooklyn, had pizza at Grimaldi's and walked back across the bridge. The girls loved it (and so did I)!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
dmlove

We walked from Grimaldi's to Jacques Torres - it's pretty much around the corner. You can see it on mapquest - 19 Old Fulton St. to 66 Water St. The hot chocolate at Jacques Torres is worth finding!

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:15 AM

From TripAdvisor forum:

http://tinyurl.com/4rvrah

Everything you've ever wanted to know about walking the Brooklyn Bridge, getting to Grimaldi's, etc.

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:28 AM

The Manhattan bridge has two pathways for bicyclists and pedestrians; the pathway on the bridge's northern side is dedicated to bicyclists; the southern side for pedestrians.

If you are set on walking across both bridges, I would walk to Brooklyn on the Manhattan Bridge and back on the Brooklyn Bridge, as mentioned above. The Manhattan Bridge is about 1 mile and a quarter total in length (you spend a fair amount of time over land). Getting off the Manhattan Bridge and making it over to the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walk can be a little confusing (or just feel like a long walk).

Did you want to take a pit stop in Dumbo? The advice above is all great. I'd also take a moment to take a breather in the park between the two bridges.

I don't know if this appeals to you or to anyone else reading... but there are now bike tours leaving from the South Street Seaport on the Manhattan side across the Manhattan Bridge and back across the Brooklyn Bridge with stops along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and the ferry landing in Dumbo. I recently took a sunset tour with my sister visiting from out of town; the tour included sightings of the current waterfall exhibit on the East River. http://www.bikeandroll.com/

One waterfall is just north of the Manhattan Bridge so there are good sightings of it from the northern bicycle path of the Manhattan Bridge. The views uptown are something else too--