Questions About Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions About Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

My husband, our friend, and I will be spending this Saturday in New York City, arriving at 10:00 am and leaving at 7:00 pm (on a bus trip sponsored by our bank). If the weather is nice we would like to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. I've seen this recommended on several posts about things to do in NYC and we thought it might be fun to do, weather permitting. So I was hoping I could get some answers to my questions.

1) Where do we access the walkway for the Bridge on the Manhattan side? Is there a subway stop close by?

2) How long, on average, will it take to walk across the Bridge?

3) When we get to the Brooklyn side of the bridge, where do we end up?

4) Once we get there, what is there to do? Is there somewhere close by we can stop in and drink a good beer?

5) Do we have to walk back across the bridge to get to Manhattan, or is there a subway stop nearby that will take us across the water?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks...

Robyn
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Take the subway to Brooklyn and then walk the bridge back to Manhattan. That way you will be walking looking at the Manhattan skyline. I don't remember how long it took to walk the bridge, but it wasn't that long, maybe 20 minutes?? I don't know of a place to have a beer in Brooklyn but there is a great ice cream shop at the base of the bridge in Brooklyn. I think it's called the Brooklyn Ice Cream Company.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM

The best way to walk the bridge is FROM Brooklyn toward Manhattan so Manhattan skyline is in front of you. You can get over to Brooklyn by subway, taxi or on the weekend, you can take the NY Water Taxi 1 stop from South St. Seaport to Fulton Ferry stop in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn side of the bridge is DUMBO on the left of the bridge and Brooklyn Heights on the right. Both areas have lots to offer in terms of shops, restaurants and in Dumbo, some art galleries.

I think someone has written a thread here on walking the bridge but here's a link from another forum with details.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._New_York.html

Here's a link on walking from the bridge to Dumbo. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-to-dumbo.cfm
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM

If you have a limited amount of time - you can walk the bridge halfway (from its entrance at the Municipal Building in Manhattan - Brooklyn Bridge stop on the 4 or 5 train) and just turn around and return. You'll get that exciting view of the lower Manhattan skyline and wind up near chinatown for lunch - if you'd like.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Grimaldi's is the "go to" place for pizza near the bridge on the Brooklyn side but it will be mobbed. I've read about a new place right at the bridge that's supposed to be good.
http://www.ignaziospizza.com/
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Robyn, even though I'm not from NY, I have a suggestion. I am a teacher in Ohio who chaperoned a junior high student council trip to NY 2 summers ago. We took the subway from the Manhattan side to Brooklyn and walked to Grimaldi's Pizza for lunch. The pizza was excellent, atmosphere great, and I'm sure you could find a good beer there. Then, we walked across the bridge from the Brooklyn side into Manhattan. The view walking toward the city was stunning. Hope this helps. Jim
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your responses. Excellent suggestions to start in Brooklyn and walk to Manhattan. It makes so much sense (I'm having a "duh" moment).

And did someone say "pizza!?" My husband will be with us, so a stop at Grimaldi's (or maybe Ignazios) will most probably happen.

mclaurie, the links were very helpful that you provided. I cut and pasted the pertinent info into Word and printed it out to take with me.

My plans are coming together...

Robyn
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Thank you too, i have also learned much here.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Robyn, I don't know how much time you have but the Brooklyn Museum is worth a trip if you have time. They have a Caillebotte exhibit on http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/caillebotte/ and the Dinner Party is there http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa...party/home.php

It's several stops further on the subway. (use hopstop.com for directions from wherever you're starting).

If you just plan to do the area around the bridge, you might want to walk over to the Promenade for the great views. http://nymag.com/listings/attraction...hts_promenade/
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I'd hightail it to Brooklyn on an express train, have pizza at Grimaldi's. Hopefully you will be there in time for the first seating. It is proof that sometimes hidden gems should stay hidden jems. Last couple of times I did the walk the lines were crazy long. Stroll around the waterfront park for awhile and then walk the bridge. You can then either jump on a train to go uptown for some Central Park or midtown, or stay downtown and check out China town and Little Italy and Soho.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've done this twice. The first time was in Nov and a bit cold.

I took the subway to Brooklyn, walked around the streets near the Promenade, then walked along the Promenade to that Ice Cream place (forget the name), had an ice cream, passed Grimaldi's (too early for me thought there was a line outside), walked the bridge and then back uptown.

The went around pretty slowly as I was taking photos but it's not a long walk at all.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM

saving for Oct, thanks
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM

AS we are going to NYC next weekend I had asked the same question about Brookly Bridge and was advised there is also a chocolate shop near the ice cream parlor! We are thinking of taking the water taxi then walking the bridge back to Manhattan. Have fun!
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM

The chocolate place is Jaques Torres. Some like it, some don't. Check the nywatertaxi.com schedule if you're planning on using it. The hop on/off sched. is the one to use on weekends.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM

ttt
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

I checked the hop on/off water taxi, but I could only find a day pass (1-day = $20.00) where you can hop on/off at 10 different locations around the City. Do they offer just a one-way ticket to get us from (not sure where in) Lower Manhattan to the Fulton Ferry Landing? We don't want to spend $20.00 each for one boat ride.

sunshinegirl - What ticket options will you be using?

Robyn
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM

A visit to Grimaldi's could take up a lot of your time. We got there at about 4 pm, waited in line for an hour, and just as we were seated, they announced the hiatus while they cleaned the ovens. I bet the whole Grimaldi's experience took at least 2 1/2 hours.

As an aside, it was 07/07/07 - said to be one of the most popular days to get married ever (because the easy to remember calendar date fell on a Saturday.) While in the area (by the ice cream place) we saw so many wedding parties getting their pictures taken with the NY skyline in the background! Fun!
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM

That's why I never 'plan' to visit Grimaldi's. When I get there, either I have a very short wait, or I don't wait. It's good pizza but not worth investing that long of a wait.
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM

srtstuff, Im glad I read this about the hop on hop off stuff as I thought it was free..no way are we spending 80 dollars for the 4 of us to go from one side of the bridge to the other and walk back...guess I wil rething my plan. We are either going from the Ellis Island tour to brookly bridge then China Town or else Ellis island to chinatown then the Bb..havent quite figured the ins and outs of that yet.We are staying at AFfinia Dumont so trying to figure out best and fastest way to travel those places with the least amount of subway changes etc. Have fun!
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM

We ended up taking a cab from Ground Zero over the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldis and got there at 1130ish on Sat. It opened at 12 and we were about the 20th people in line and got in at the first seating. We ordered calzones and they were not what I expected ( as in did not like). I think the pizza was probably ok as there was a crowd..guess it depends on what kind of pizza you like. We did walk over to the park on water and have icecream on the boardwalk and take in the view. It was beautiful. We took a cab back as we were kind of tired at that point as we had been to Ellis Island at 730 am that morning. Took the cab to Chinatown then the subway back to our hotel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information