BROOKLYN???

Old May 20th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BROOKLYN???

While in New York, we thought of going to Brooklyn, but not really sure why we would go there, it was an idea of my hubby's to visit there, I know he read about it and it sounded like someplace he'd like to see, any Brooklyn-ites out there that can fill me in. How to get there, what to do, etc. Thanks for any info.
Sue
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:52 AM

I'm not a Brooklynite by any stretch of the imagination, but I loved Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg. I simply took the subway there. By all means go.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:56 AM

I would say it depends on how much time you have. Most of the "main" sites in the city are in Manhattan. If you have plenty of time, Brooklyn Heights is a nice area - nice brownstones, some cool shops and restaurants, there's a waterfront promenade which is nice. It is a quick subway ride, but again, it depends on how much time you have...If you only have a few days, you'll have your hands full just seeing all you want in Manhattan. With 1 week, it might be worth a stop over...
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:19 AM
GoTravel

Brooklyn is my favorite burrough. Aside from the Brooklyn Bridge:

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
Park Slope
Brooklyn Heights
Coney Island
Brooklyn Heights Promenade
Williamsburg
Prospect Park

Old May 20th, 2005, 05:20 AM

A popular thing to do while in NYC is walk the Brooklyn Bridge. The best way to do this is by going to Brooklyn and walking back toward Manhattan for views of the skyline. On the Brooklyn side of the bridge you have DUMBO on one side and Brooklyn Heights on the other. The view from the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights is used in loads of movies and is a nice area to stroll.

You can take a subway to Brooklyn but you can also grab the NYwatertaxi.com and go to their Fulton St. stop. From there, a block away is Grimaldi's pizza, thought by many to be the best pizza in NY.

Williamsburg is another area of Brooklyn that's become gentrified in the last decade. Atlantic Ave. has lots of antique shops.

The Brooklyn Museum of Art and Prospect Park are also destination stops there.

There are many previous posts here on walking the Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Heights. Here's a link to some more info on various neighborhoods in Brooklyn (and NYC)

http://nymetro.com/visitorsguide/nei...oods/index.htm
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:32 AM

This Georgian wants to add her two cents: To get a realistic idea of New York City, it's essential to visit more than just Manhattan. It's interesting to see the contrasts. Besides, if your husband expressed an interest, you don't want him remembering the trip as the time he didn't get to see Brooklyn.....The subway ride is quick and easy. And there are stops near the bridge. Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Brooklyn is huge - and has the largest population of the five burroughs, so where you go depends on your interests.

I'd add the Brooklyn Museum to the list. It's next to the Botanic Gardens and Prospect Park. They have a Basquiat show until June, 5.

If you're in the city over Labor Day, the West Indian Parade is a fun event.

A good middle eastern meal along Atlantic Avenue is also worthwhile. Atlantic Avenue is south of the Brooklyn Bridge - about a 15 minute walk.

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Take the F train to Bergen Street, get out and walk Smith Street. Tons of restaurants, shops, bars, much like Soho used to be. The further down Smith you go, the more it becomes "old" Brooklyn, with many families who have lived there forever as you move into Carroll Gardens.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM
QC

What's a "burrough"? Can someone translate that into English for me? Are you all referring to the Borough of Brooklyn? Or are there extensive rabbit tunnels underneath it that you all plan on visiting?
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I am Brooklyn born and raised (and still live here). It is true that although Manhattan (the city, as the real nyers call it) has most of the tourist sites, Brooklyn has much to offer. All of the places previously menitoned are great and if you have time I think you should go. Brooklyn also offers up the most authentic neighborhoods, both in feel and in food. Is it just you and your husband or are you bringing any children with you. And, not to be too personal, but what age range are you (because that would affect my recommendations). And I do agree that how long your trip is should also be a determining factor in your itinerary.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I second AllanNYC's recommendation of Atlantic Avenue. While you're there, check out Sahadi's, a very old Middle Eastern food store. Their Baba Ghanoug (eggplant spread - pronounced baba ganoosh) is second to none - very garlicky. Pick up some of that and some pita and some other goodies and take it for a picnic at a park.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I can sum up at least one reason to return to Brooklyn (I realize there are many more)in two words: "Peter Lugar's"

AL
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
GoTravel

Ahhh. Now I want a steak.

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Add to that....

Brighton Beach - Large Russian-American neighborhood

Flatbush Avenue in Crown Heights - Large Carribean Neighborhood

Greenpoint - Large Polish Neighborhood