Brooklyn must sees !!

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brooklyn must sees !!

I will be in the Williamsburg part of Brooklyn for 3 days helping daughter get settled in for school; I
pretty much know her area around Bedford, a few interesting streets with shops and spas but was wondering about other parts of Brooklyn I should explore while I'm there; is the Museum neighborhood safe to explore on foot, is there something else I should make a point of seeing or exploring as a casual walk....
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM

I live in lovely Park Slope area of Brooklyn and highly recommend exploring the many things that Brooklyn has to offer. You may want to go to Brooklyn Heights and walk around the neighborhood and the Promenade. Also visit the DUMBO area, which has the famous Jacques Torres chocolate shop. We always take visitors to the ferry landing right beside the Brooklyn Bridge. The Park Slope area is also charming. You can visit the museums, botanical garden, prospect park, and Park Slope in one day. I also recommend Smith Street in Carroll Gardens for shopping, eating, and also antiquing on Atlantic Avenue. There is also delicious Middle Eastern food on Atlantic Avenue.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM

Kangamom hit the highlights. The Brooklyn Museum of Art is wonderful and definitely worth a visit. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is nearby and would be lovely for lunch (they have a cafe onsite). Then you can stroll southwest across Prospect Park to Park Slope. The shops on Fifth Avenue are wonderful and there are also lots of nifty restaurants. I live in Prospect Heights, which is technically the area around the museum and the garden, but it's not as good for sightseeing as Park Slope.

I second the Dumbo idea. The views of lower Manhattan are unbeatable. Definitely take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (perhaps start in Manhattan at the Brooklyn Bridge stop and walk back into Brooklyn over the bridge). The food under the bridge is great. You can have the best NY pizza at Grimaldi's. Then ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory. Then top it all off with an iced hot chocolate or other treat (!) from Jacques Torres. Dumbo also has many neat art galleries that are worth a peek. And a classic walk in Brooklyn is along the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights. Just fabulous!

Have fun - I love Brooklyn!!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:58 AM

To txtree:

Thanks for mentioning the possibility of iced hot chocolate at Jacques Torres. We will be in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks, and I wondered how the Jacques Torres shop compared with Serendipity3 in Manhattan, but could not find any mention of iced hot chocolate on the Jacques Torres website. Is this a seasonal menu item, or do they serve it year-round? Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations; I'm printing all of it and will post back-
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

ttt & good example of a travel thread...