Boston: The Taj or The Fairmont Copley Plaza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a weekend in Boston coming up in March. I have the option of either The Taj or The Fairmont Copley Plaza for pretty much the same rate for the same level of room. I've stayed at the Copley Plaza before but have no experience with The Taj. Has anyone stayed there? Is it worth a try? Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Not familiar with the brand new Taj. Service throughout Copley Plaza is exceptional, though your room could be at the bottom of rotation for "refreshing".
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Does it have to be one of these two properties? If not, try The Lenox Hotel on Boylston Street which is far better than either of them.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I have stayed at both recently. I love teh taj. i love the location- right by the common and on newbury street. It used to be the Ritz carlton and has retained that same look, many of the same employees. It needs a tiny bit of a facelift, but I still love it.

stayed 3 nighst at the fairmont last summer and it was very nice, but i think just a step below the Taj.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Given the choice, I'd choose the Tag/ old ritz for lodging and the Oak Room/Copley for a martini.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Upgrading to the Fairmont Gold floor is also an option at the Copley Plaza. Has anyone tried it? Is there a big difference in the service and the rooms?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM

the taj is the better hotel....former ritz
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM

Both are fabulous. If it matters to you, the Fairmont is currently undergoing some renovations - in particular, the outside front entrance is all boarded up and you enter from the side street - the Fairmont Gold floor is worth it if you are going to take advantage of what it offers - only you can decide if you would take advantage of the continental breakfast, tea, the cocktail hour,etc - or if you are the type of visitor who would be doing those things in Boston at other locations. Even so, the check in, check out, etc is all raised a notch - the benefits are explained on the web page - so to me, the upgrade to that is a personal preference.

Taj as someone said on corner of Arlington overlooking Public Garden/Common and close to Charles St and that end - the Copley is across from the Public Library and the inside/walkway Copley Place and Prudential Shops - and both are about 3-4 blocks apart, so going to either one is an easy stroll - so whatever you choose

Definitely visit the bar at the Copley - great music too - and if you like steak and fine, old world, dining in a restaurant that is on the quiet side for conversation, the Oak Room has the best in town -

The Taj also has a great late night bar/music - so wherever you stay go to the other for something !
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Taj overlooks the public garden. Great spot and nice tea time and sitting by the fire in the lounge. My last apartment was up the strret from the taj. Loved the hotel where I once won a weekend.