Best Route to take out of Boston Logan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving later afternoon on friday and need to find the best route to leave Boston for Vermont destination. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Take Route 93 North.

For northern VT (Woodstock, Burlington), stay on 93 as far as Route 89. For southern VT (Brattleboro), I guess I'd take 93 N to 495 West (south?) to Route 2 west.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM

It does depend a bit on where in Vermont. Probably 93 north from Boston is the best idea.

But I don't agree with the 2nd half of Anons suggestion. you do NOT want to take 93 to 495 to route 2 -- the 93/495 interchange on a Friday is pure hell, and it takes you a ways out of your way.

Let us know where in Vermont, and we can give you a better idea.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I'm not too familar with that area but have you tried using Mapquest (www.mapquest.com)?

It gives you "turn-by-turn" directions with options of routing you by quickest, shortest, via freeways, or no freeways. Which one is best depends on your definition of best.

In all probability you'll want to take one I-93 out of Boston and continuing on I-93 or switching to I-89 (depending on where in Vermont you are going) to reach your destination.

Since you are leaving Logan Airport late Friday afternoon you will most likely encounter "rush hour" traffic as you exit Boston. Once you are out of the city there should be "free sailing". While there may be a few commuters out there that know an elaborate circuitous that helps them avoid the "usual" bottlenecks and traffic lights between their workplace (which might be near the airport) and their home (which might be enroute to Vermont) I suspect those types of routings would be difficult for a visitor to follow and won't save you very much time. They are probably not worth the effort.

Try Mapquest.

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM

A friend just reported bridge repairs on rt 293. When you head north on Rt 93 it splits so that 293 goes along the west side of the Merrimack River which is usually my choice because I enjoy seeing the old mills. The two highways merge again a few miles before the Hooksett Toll Booth. On Friday afternoons expect slow but fairly steady traffic but possible backups at the toll booth. The toll booth is a few miles south of Rt 89. Once rush hour starts traffic is very heavy in the Manchester/Concord area. Expect it to ease up once you get on Rt 89.
I disagree about free sailing once you are out of the Boston area. Drove north from Salem NH last Friday and traffic was very heavy. Always find it extra heavy on Fridays.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Rte 93 is really it - then splitting off on appro[priate road to wherever in VT you are headed.

Traffic out of Boston - into southern NH, Maine, etc is not pleasant on a summer Friday. It varies from slow and steady to standstill when some yahoo with a trailer loses a wheel or something similar.

Depending on time of flight arrival, you might have dinner in Boston area and then head north around 6 or 7 PM - everyone tries to head out a little early and it may let up by then.

But we have had late afternoon thunderstorms 4-7 days/week this summer which may delay both your flight into Logan and your drive out. Bring patience.