Boston traffic and scenic route to Portsmouth

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a week or so ago, but I never got a response..trying again. We will be leaving Boston on Tuesday, July 5, and driving the scenic route to Portsmouth, NH. We definitely want to hit Rockport, Essex, Ipswich, and regions north. Should we also drive 1A through Lynn, Marblehead, etc? I'd really, really love to, but I'm afraid we will run out of time (just driving this in one day), and I want to be sure to visit the antique areas between Essex and Ipsich before they close. Suggestions?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:39 AM

Hmmmm...

I live north of Boston and finally drove up to Marblehead for the first time last weekend via 1A. Loved Marblehead but 1A wasn't very attractive (yuck) until you get past Lynn. I would skip that area and concentrate on the Cape Ann area.

Newburyport (just south of Portsmouth) is a nice stop if you have time.

r/K.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Krista. So, you think we could just go 95 to 128 and cut over to Rockport?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:12 AM
bm

Take 95 to 128. Then take the Manchester/Pine Street exit. Take a left off the ramp. Follow Pine Street until it's end at Route 127 . Follow Route 127 north through Manchester & Gloucester and on into Rockport.
I agree with the previous poster. Skip 1A through Lynn, Salem etc.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:21 AM

Agreed - 1A is not all that awe inspiring (to say the least.) Manchester up north (through and including Newburyport and downtown Portsmouth) is great.

Don't worry, you'll be able to experience the scenic Boston traffic, but it should not be bad if you are leaving Boston in the AM (against the grain) and pick up 128 from there.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM

Go over the Tobin Bridge and follow Rt 1 north to 128 north. 95 is 128.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM

Hi-I was just in Boston 2 weeks ago & also did the north shore (use to live in Rockport). Between Essex & Ipswich - watch for a sign on the right to Crane's Beach; take that road & less than a mile is Gooddale Orchards -- have an apple cinnamon donut and cider, to die for. Ipswich has the famous Clam Box (far end of town)--have fried clams-they change the oil at 2:30pm daily so get there before or wait till around 3:00pm. Yum! Skip Newburyport- I think it's too touristy. Outside of Ipswich you'll see signs for Georgetown-there are antique stores there as well; and you can then pick up 95 to Maine. If you have time - go to Marblehead and eat at The Barnicle -- great clam chowder -- restaurant over looks the ocean-so pretty; popular with locals.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM

Skip Newburyport with its dozens of shops, restaurants, riverfront, outdoor sculpture gardens but head to Georgetown for its two antique stores and a Mobil station? That's crazy. I love Georgetown - its a nice town to live in but hardly a destination.

Drive up 1a from Ipswich to Newburyport, you'll pass through Rowley with a few more antique stores, maybe stop at Tendercrop Farms with its fresh produce and wonderful dried flower arrangments and take a gander at its resident buffalo, maybe take a detour out to Plum Island to see the ocean. From there head on in to Newburyport to at least drive down High St (1a turns into High St) and see all the Federal style mansions. Then pick up 95N and head on up through NH and into ME.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM

As others have said, don't stress about missing Lynn and Swampscott. Marblehead is also a bit out of the way when you have an agenda. I agree with Bennie regarding taking the Tobin Bridge to Rt 1 North, and exiting RT. 128 North onto Cape Ann. Go to Rockport first, and work your way "out." You'll love the antiquing in Essex, and also in Newburyport. I would definitely suggest going there, as well. (But I do like JBass's suggestions of Goodale's and the Clam Box.) Lots of great restaurants if you want an early dinner (most places open at 5m) in Newburyport before the last leg to Portsmouth. Take Rt. 1 North from Ipswich to Newburyport; it takes you right into the downtown. Rt. 1A in New Hampshire has some really pretty views, especially in the Rye area. You could also do this as a day trip from Portsmouth. York, Maine, just north of Portsmouth, also has a lot of fun antiquing along Rt. 1.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We plan to overnight two nights in Portsmouth after this northbound journey. The first night will be arriving from this day's trip, and we plan to go as far as time will allow the following day (maybe Camden--or not!) and back to Portsmouth that evening. Anyone done the fireworks at Hampton Beach? The will be going off that evening at 9:30, and I'm wondering if we should make an effort to be back down south for that....
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM

I don't think I'd rush back for the Hampton fireworks, but I haven't been in many years. Camden round trip will be quite a hike! It is beautiful there, so I can understand your desire, but I think I'd settle for Portland, Kennebunkport, and/or Ogunquit.
Good Luck - sounds like a nice trip! (From where are you coming?) Please post your impressions when you return!

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:31 PM

I too agree. Skip 1A - Lynn, Salem area. Marblhead is too far out of the way...a trip in itself.

I suggest if you are going to Essex you visit Woodman's Restaurant - listed in the book, 1000 Places to Visit Before You Die. Another good restaurant on the same road is The Village.

Rockport is a neat little town. Visit the Mosher Gallery and say hello to Don and Christine...tell them Jan and Bill said hello...they are wonderful artists.

Cranes Beach in Ipswich is a nice spot, definitely worth a visit...

Have a great trip...

NannyJan
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Ya'll are gonna gasp when I tell you where we are driving from....Dallas. Yep, this trip starts in Dallas on Tuesday, June 28 and we travel to NYC, Boston, various New England stops (to pick up waiting antiques left from another-flying-trip) over to Niagara Falls and back down to Dallas! We love the coast and had to include a couple of days for this trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

Sounds like a great trip...have a wonderful time.

NannyJan