fastest route to boston

Search

fastest route to boston

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fastest route to boston

I'd like a fast route to Boston. I'm traveling from Brooklyn, NY. I know about I-95-91-90. Is there a better route. I'm leaving on an early Sunday morning about 8AM. I need to get there by 12:30PM or 1PM.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I live outside of Boston and I would do 95 all the way up. Have fun.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM

IMHO way too many trucks this way - and often massive accidents. I have always found it faster to go up the Hutch/Merritt and then cut north to Hartford.

Granted it's fewer lanes - but much less traffic and you can actually drive faster due to the lack of trucks.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I also hate I95. After Hartford, Take Route 84 to Mass Turnpike right into Boston (or if you are going to suburbs, take Rte 128 off MassPike to your destination)

Make sure you have a toll transponder - it really does speed things up.

Watch out for speed traps thruout Connecticut - it must be their only source of revenue, because there are so many of them.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I would take the Hutch to either the Merrit or 684. Merritt is a little shorter, but can be slower if the weather is bad, or construction (or if you don't like curvy roads. I think its fun!).

Take 684 to 84 OR
Take the Merritt to 91 to 84.

Take 84 to Masspike (I-90) and take that east in to Boston.

I've made the trip from Manhatten or Westchester a lot of times. I have never found I-95 to be faster.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Hutchinson Parkway to 684 to 84 to Hartford and Mass Pike to Boston. Should take 3-4 hrs depending on stops.
95 has a bottle neck in New Haven and Merrit pky is 2 lanes and winding.
We routinely do the above rt. Sometimes have made it from Boston to the Hudson River in 3 hrs.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I can visualize the routes. I'm going to the Port of Boston. From what point or city should I do a Mapquest search for directions from I90 to the Port?
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM

"Port of Boston" is not a destination recognized by this 56-year Boston resident. Can you be more specific, like an address, pier, terminal, or activity?
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:21 AM

For instance, are you going on a cruise that departs from the Black Falcon Terminal?
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:47 AM

And if by some chance you are departing on a cruise, I would leave far earlier than 8 AM - the schedule you have planned is very likely to get you there in time, but for something where you must be there on time, I would not risk traffic, accidents, your car getting a flat tire, etc.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I also would be travelling to Wellesley from Brooklyn on a Sunday morning next summer. I live in NH, and drive a NH/NJ route using 84 regularly, but thought there might be a better way to go to the Boston area from NYC. Do you think there would be a lot of trucks on 95 even early Sunday morning? We need to be there by 9:am... so, say, 4:am-9:am?
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I still thnk the Hutch/Merritt is faster - granted there are 2 narrow lanes, twisting road and lots of hills - but that means a lot of people drive on the right and you can maintain 75 esily. On 95 there are so many trucks that the left lane is often clogged with slow pokes that you have to work your way around - and when an accident occurs you can be held up for hours. (It's taken me more than 3 hours from Westchester to West Haven on 95.)

The best I've done NYC to Boston is 3:45 with a gas/potty stop. If you HAVE to be there by 12:30 (HAVE to - not really want to) I would leave earlier - since you can get lots of tourist (slow) traffic on Sundays. And even if construction is not actually happening the lanes often stay closed the whole time.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Dreamer2 - Sunday morning that early, you should just take I-95/91/84/90. They won't be significantly traffic, and this is the shortest route with the highest traveling speed.

Now, by the time the OP hits the road, it'd be a little different.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM

John_T_Cuttino is right. Take the Hutch to 684 to 84. It is the fastest way.
It'll save you at least a half hour over either the Merritt Parkway or the I-95 route.
nytraveler, that is definitely faster. Further, I would not take your advice and go 75 on the Merritt. First of all, that road wasn't built for speeding. Second, you'll stand a good chance of getting a speeding ticket.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Howard -

Worked in Westchester and had a client in West Haven for 4 years. Traveled that route at least once a week.

Routine speed 75 to 80 (perfectly safe on that road if you're driving a car rather than a truck and know what you're doing). Never got a ticket - because there were always other people going faster - it's Jag/Porsche territory.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Give yourself some extra time -- heavy rains in Boston today and tomorrow.

75-80 (or faster) on the Merritt??? Yea, those are the idiots who create problems for people like my husband when the crack their cars up during the am and pm commute.

I don't care what kind of car you're driving, just pure crazy on the Merritt -- not to mention the sun glare and rainy days.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM

75-80 is good weather and reasonable traffic. If it's raining or snowing - or traffic is too heavy obviously you have to go slower.

And it not high speed that causes all the problems (I'm 50 and the only accident I ever had I was stopped at a traffic light and hit from behind by a drunk) - it's people that tailgate, change lanes with no notice, talk on cell phones, eat while they're driving, argue with their kids - and try to drive a truck like it's a car.

If you take driving seriously, and do it well, speed appropriate to road conditions is not an issue.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Sorry to disagree, nytraveler, but the Merritt Parkway was not designed for driving 75-80 miles an hour. And, further, you've been damned lucky not to get a ticket driving that fast on that road.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM

I can easily drive 100+ on Merritt if I own the road. But I don't, and there's always traffic, and plenty of people brake at each curve (i.e. every 1/2 mile), going around 50mph. And then the on and off ramps are super super short - it's not up to interstate standard - making it pretty dangerous to go much faster than 60-65 when cars pull in at 30mph and cars slow to 25mph to take an exit.

And then every few miles or so, you'll have two cars going side-by-side, one doing 55, then other 56 trying to pass.

Even in just moderate traffic, it's hard work to average 60+ on the Merritt, with lots of weaving in and out of both lanes to get that. For me, it's less frustrating to take I-95 with three travel lanes to "work" with the traffic.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

I will be arriving at Terminal A or other alphabets. Yes, this is a ship area. By the way, is the Harbor deep for a gigantic cruise ship? Regarding the highways: I'm not a rookie. My son attended college in New Haven and took the Hutch home and sometimes the Hutch and 95 back to New York. Today we got a late start on our way up to Milford and wound up exiting onto I-95 because of a traffic backup soon after leaving the Hutch/Merrit (Ex 5?). I know Merrit is curvey. I don't think anyone should speed on a windy road or with other drivers who have a mind of their own. But this isn't the point. The directions are essential to me, and all were clear. I do have to be at the terminal between 12-2:30PM on a Sunday. So, I should leave earlier than 8 AM? You all have been terrific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -