Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive from Kennebunk, ME to Newark, NJ- any way to avoid Boston?

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- In need of some driving experts help!
After a stop in Boston, we'll end up in Kennebunk but have to get back to Newark, NJ for the flight home. We've heard its wise to avoid Boston traffic when possible - AAA says to take 95 - is there another way? Thanks a bunch in advance!
Julie
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:38 PM

It all depends on when you are passing through Boston. 95 isn't so bad as long as you are NOT going through rush hour...
An alternative (but longer route) would be to take I-95 south from Maine to 495 south which will bring you to the Mass Turnpike (another potential traffic nightmare) or you could continue down and grab I-95 south around Wrentham/Foxboro area, bypassing Boston traffic.
However, if you plan on going down I-95 through the Boston area between 11am-2pm, you should be able to sail right on down without much trouble.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:41 PM

There's no need to go through Boston. I suggest that from Maine you take 95 to 495 South (just after you cross the Mass. border from NH), then 290 West through Worcester to 90 West (although you could continue on 495 to 90, you save a few miles by taking 290 - but you go through Worcester, so I'd avoid it at a rush hour time of day). 90 is also the Mass Pike, but I disagree that it's likely to be a traffic nightmare unless you're traveling on a major travel day, like the day before Thanksgiving - I travel that part of the Pike fairly frequently, and rarely run into problems. At Sturbridge take 84 South, then in Hartford get on 91 South. You could stay on 91 until you catch 95 West in New Haven, but I prefer the Wilber Cross Parkway and Merrit Parkway, also known as 15, which is less congested and more scenic - also, no big trucks, which is a plus. You can finally get on 95 again once you're in New York - I can't really advise you about the best way to get through the city from there and over to Newark, though. This route is actually quite a bit shorter than going through Boston and staying on 95 the whole way.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:12 PM

Sara's route is the one we always use. However, we avoid the Mass Turnpike by exiting I-290 at Route 20. There can be a ridiculous backup at the toll booths on the Mass Pike (getting on and getting off) for no particular reason. They actually hand out tickets (slowly) getting on, and are, apparently, very slow at counting change getting off...

Besides, we LOVE a place called the Sturbridge Bistro on Route 20 in Sturbridge. Wonderful food, moderate prices, extensive menu, charming place. It's .8 miles west of I-84.

For going around NYC, we usually go via the Tapanzee Bridge.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Sara's directions are fine UNTIL you get to Hartford. At that point continue on I-84 all the way into New York state, where you'll pick up 684 to 287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
That route is definitely better than the I-91/I-95 or I-91/Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) way from Hartford.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I respectfully disagree with Howard. We always take 91S from Hartford. For whatever reason, we've run into horrible traffic whenever we've continued on 84 (which we only take when my husband misses the exit to 91).
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:55 PM

like they said, it depends on the time of day. Otherwise, just take 495 around Boston and you'll be alright. You can usually judge how busy the traffic is driving south, out of Maine, towards Boston, then just make the decision when you hit the Mass. border.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I travel to from near Boston to DC and New York often and my advice, 'no doubt' stay on 84 in Hartford, Conn and follow directions to the Tappan Zee Bridge. This totally by passes New York City. There is no need to go to the city on the way to New Jersey. From Maine to New Jersey your biggest tie ups (depending on time of day) could be where 90 meets 84 in Sturbridge, but we never travel over holidays so it has never happened to us. You don't have to go anywhere near Boston from 95 so enjoy the trip