Bahama Hotel in Ft Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Florida to see a Patriots games..... staying at the Bahama Hotel Anyone ever been?? Any information?? Looking for a laid back, kick back hang at the pool, have a few drinks, take in the nightlife and have fun type of place near the beach........ any thoughts

Thanks again
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 08:31 PM

I've never seen this place, but from where it is on the map, it should be in a decent neighborhood. However, it's not on the Ft. Lauderdale Beach strip with all the action. You need to get south of Sunrise Boulevard to be near the restaurants, bars and shopping. You might want to check out the Bahia Cabana Hotel. It has a nice tiki bar that overlooks one of the large marinas and is about a block from the beach.

Also, if you want to use Priceline.com, you can get a good room at a good rate. Check out BiddingForTravel.com to find out which hotels are in the different bidding categories and to get bidding advice.

Have fun watching the Dolphins whup your Patriot b*tts.... LOL!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this info and your insight. Do you have any other reccomendations? I have stayed at the Bahia Cabana and that was my first choice..... unfortunately that was all booked for that weekend. I did a Mapquest check for directions from the Bahama to Howling at the Moon and that said .47 miles, which I could deal with.... Plus there are always cabs too. If you are familiar with the area and have other decent places, that would be great. We are looking for something close to the beach, fairly inexpensive, not too fancy where we might be hassled for having fun, etc... with a pool and preferable a pool/patio bar...... Going with family (brothers sisters, boyfriends/girlfriends, dad) so no small children.

Thanks again..... I really appreciate it.....

J
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:35 PM

drove past it this morning. Looks the same as 30 years ago which is about the last time I was there or at least I think it was the Bahama.

It looked clean which was more than I could say for some of the older motels in this section. It is very reminescent of Where the Boys Are in every way.

It is just beyond the Beach Place Towers and all the bars that are there. I'd also try the bar at either of the Sheratons. The Yankee Trader has the Don Shula bar with tv sets and lots of fans for any of the teams and the Yankee Clipper way at the other end of the beach has that pool where you can watch the people swimming from under the water. Like a gold fish bowl (you saw it if you watched Analyze This with Billy Crystal and DeNiro).

LMF
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:51 PM

There's always the Holiday Inn at the corner of A1A and Sunrise Blvd. It's close to Birch State Park and closer to Howl at the Moon -- I love that place You can also try the Yankee Trader a little farther south. I think on Hotwire you can get the Trader for around $70/nt.

LilMs -- I didn't know you lived in Ft. Lauderdale -- HOWDIE!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM

I don't live in Fort Lauderdale, Heartburn but I was there last week spending time doing nothing at the Beach Place Towers for a little R&R looking at the ocean & full moon on the water Just got back to Fort Myers. LMF
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:45 PM

Okay, LilMis, why is it those of us who are fortunate enough to live near the ocean go to beach settings on our vacation??? LOL... I was last in Sanibel and Key West!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:05 AM

Heartburn...we live in Florida because we love the beaches and the tropical lifestyle. I take other vacations but once a year I go to the beach just like a tourist. I like the summer because the water is warm (like a big hot tub) and the crowds thin. My business precludes a real "season" vacation anyway. I actually like to watch the storms gather over the water and the wind.

I could just stay at home and take the 15 min drive to Sanibel but I love Fort Lauderdale and the ocean was beautiful last week, no red tide like Sanibel this summer. LMF
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:50 AM

To Fort Lauderdalians, What about the Radisson Bahia Mar---how is that place?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:18 PM

LOL LMF... I even went to Ft Laud beach for a weekend to "get away" while I had a chance (I care for my Mom and she was in the hospital.) Actually, the place I stayed is the Radisson Bahia Mar. I highly recommend this hotel, especially if you get a room on the upper floors overlooking the downtown area to the north. This view gives you a nice view of the ocean, marinas and the intracoastal waterway. Irish... it's a nice place to stay and has a walkway over the main road connecting it directly to the beach.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Jim -- I forgot to tell you I took the beach route today (to see what the hurricane was doing -- it was very calm.) I didn't realize the Bahama Hotel was right next door to the Yankee Trader; I thought it was north of Sunrise Blvd from what I could tell from Mapquest. It looks old, but that's because many of the places along the beach are either being sold and demolished to make way for larger hotels and condos, or are being remodeled.

I also drove around Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, just a little farther north up the beach and jotted down loads of places to stay right on the beach, in case you are interested. Being so close to the water looked very inviting!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone who is helping with this. So it looks a little old but in a decent location??? We don't plan on spending a whole lot of time there....... mainly just sleeping.... SPecial thanks to Heartburn and Lil Mis Fodor...... your input thus far has been invaluable...... would you have any input about good places to eat and night spots..... Good spots, cheap drinks, possibly acoustic music.... etc....

Thanks again.... dying to get back to Ft L...... AND Key West in December

Jim