Auto Travel Between Denver and Glenwood Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to travel from Denver to Glenwood Springs, Colorado on Interstate I 70. The date will be the first part of January. Are we crazy to try this? Im a little nervous about the pass, chains, etc. My husband is a good, careful driver. Will it be scary? It will be nighttime....
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Depends on the weather. If it's not snowing, should be no problem. The only pass you go over is Vail Pass which is not a scary road, IMO. I-70 is a four-lane road with wide shoulders. You will go under the continental divide though the Eisenhower Tunnel-there's a looong rather steep descent into Silverthonrne on the west side of the tunnel--this is three lanes and, again, not scary. So watch the weather forecasts and if it's not snowing, you should be fine.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM

You're going to be driving on some of the most beautiful miles in the country. It's really a shame that you won't be doing in daylight. If there's anyway you can change your timing I absolutely would; not only for safety but so you can see where you are.

We drove in a snow storm last January and the part between Summit County and Glenwood Springs was tough. It was so cold the windshield cleaner froze and we had to stop repeatedly to clean off the windshield. Take your time and be safe.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Should be an easy drive. It is January, a low snow month -- normally. It is a three hour trip. Chains are never required on passenger cars but snow tires on all four wheels are critical. By Jan most of the idiots will have re-learned how to drive in snowy conditions. You can check the CDOT web site and the see the video camera for nearly the entire route. If it is snowing heavy at the time you are schedule to drive, don't. Over the years I driven that route close to hundred times, and can remember only three or four times that snow was a problem. And with the one exception when the road was closed, the snow made it a four/five trip instead of three. You will be fine.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Check this site and you can see for yourself the road conditions.

There is snow in the mountains at present.

http://www.cotrip.org/atis/web.Zoomb...CCTV&Zoombox=0

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I'm sorry, I think fmpden is being a little misleading. On another thread passportplus has identified herself as an older woman. I would assume her husband is also older. If you're not used to this kind of driving it can be a real challenge. Especially at night. One of the biggest issues is other drivers. Trucks and SUVs spit up a mess onto your windshield making visibility a challenge.

Of course, I've only done this drive a couple of dozen times, but I think it would absolutely be worth your time to stay the night in Denver and do the drive in the daylight.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM

"Are we crazy to try this?"

Not necessarily. Thousands of others do it every night. Interstate 70 is the safest road to your destination. I agree that it is a shame you won't be traveling the route during daylight as it is quite scenic from Denver to Avon, and then again from Dotsero to Glenwood Springs.
As martym has mentioned, the only problem will be if it is snowing (or has snowed recently). If you are renting a car I would suggest getting one with snow tires & front-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive "pulls" you through the snow a lot safer than a rear-wheel drive vehicle "pushes" you through the snow. Better yet would be to rent a vehicle with 4-wheel drive capability, but it's really not necessary. If you encounter snow, just take it easy and use common sense. Driving in snow from Denver to Glenwood will double (or even triple) the amount of time it normally takes to cover that route.

Along I-70, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) does a pretty good job with roadside signage of notifying motorists about any problematic conditions up ahead. In real heavy snow, Vail Pass (and even the road up to the Eisenhower tunnel) can be shut down to traffic in one or both directions for many hours, forcing motorists to exit and find shelter in nearby towns until the interstate is cleared, but this is a rare and very unpredictable occurance.

The use of tire chains is generally put into effect during heavy snow conditions, and usually only for commercial trucks and semi tractor trailers. Sometimes though, chain requirements can be extended to ALL vehicles that are NOT equipped with snow tires or 4-wheel drive capability. The only time I personally have had to put chains on my passenger car was driving from the Eisenhower tunnel to Vail during the Christmas blizzard of 1982.

Also, make sure that your vehicles windshield washer fluid reservoir is full.

"Will it be scary?"

If there are no problems on the road, then it shouldn't be, but............that depends upon what it takes to scare you. For some people, driving through the mountains on DRY pavement is scary. For others, even a massive snowstorm does little to curb their enthusiasm for getting from one place to another in the least amount of time. IMHO, both of these types of drivers pose greater problems on the road than most any of the road conditions themselves that you will encounter. Don't be afraid to be a little nervous when driving through the mountains. It's normal, and keeps your senses attuned to the task at hand.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

You are all such a great group to take the time to answer my questions. Yes, we are older (68). We are pretty sensible folks, so if it is snowing with dangerous conditions, we will put up in Denver for the night. -- but we're trying to get to Glenwood Springs that night in order to be available to watch our grandkids the next day...now, I know, that shouldn't and won't be our priority, but you know how you want to "be there" for your kids. Bye the way, our return will be in daylight, so we will get to see the scenery.... we are flying to and from Denver
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM

When you land in Denver, you can check current road conditions by calling the Colorado DOT hotline at 303-639-1111.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:02 AM

There are many shuttles that serve the western slope from DIA. Why not take a shuttle to Glenwood Springs and then rent your car there? Much safer and stressless. That is a beautiful drive but I would not want to do it at night, especially in winter.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Hope they made it!
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Anyone thinking of driving from Denver to Glenwood Springs should consider taking the train instead. It's much more fun to watch the scenery than to worry about traffic! And no fears about bad weather, either. You don't really need a car in Glenwood Springs anyway, since it's such a small cute town anyway.