Search

cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cross country trip

We're driving from Maine to Utah in January. We're looking for the safest winter route. Will we need chains?
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM
J62

I-80 passes through SLC so you don't have too many options. West through Mass on I-90/Mass Pike, through NY/Buffalo, Cleveland, where I-90 merges with I-80. Straight west on I-80 from there.

As long as it's not actively (or recently been) snowing the interstate highway system will be snow free all the way across the country. All states on the route are used to winter weather and know how to clear roads after a snow. You won't want to be on the road if it's accumulating anyway.

As for Rocky Mtns west of Cheyenne and need to carry chains, I'll let others speak to. It's about 6-7hr drive from Cheyenne to SLC - easy to do on a day when there is no snow fcst.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM

J62 is correct. You don't have many options. I-80 is about it. The phrase is generally, "Chains or Adequate Snow Tires." if the weather and the passes are really bad but no one checks. The big issue is that if you get yourself stuck or cause an accident, then they can come back on you for not having chains or adequate snow tires. If it is super bad, sometimes there will be road blocks and checks, but if it is that bad, I would not go.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
TAW

You might not NEED chains, however, you should CARRY them in your car anyway. I never travel anywhere w/o them and luckily have never needed them. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM

TAW -- if you have never used chains why carry them? Have lived in the Rocky Mt area for all of my 64 years but 12 and have never needed chains. BUT I do run true mud and snow tires on my vehicle. If it is that bad that I need chains then I don't go. Beside most users could not put chains on their tires.

ISMFROMME --- watch the weather. Right now Denver and the front range around i-70 is being buried with one major storm after another. A most unusual winter -- so far. Don't believe the snow has been as heavy along I-80. Go easy/