Pagosa springs in late feb.

Jan 14th, 2003, 07:50 AM
hotlanta

Pagosa springs in late feb.

Is late Feb. a good time to visit Pagosa Springs? Also, about how long is the drive from Albuquerque?

Jan 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM
travellyn

It will be cold at that time of year, but lovely. The temperature may drop below 0 F at night, but will warm up to 40s or 50s in the day. There will be snow in town and on the mountains. There may be ice on the passes; the highway around Chama, NM can be especially icy at that time of year. In good weather, with dry roads, it takes about 4 hours to drive from ABQ. It might take 6 hours or more if there is snow or ice on the roads.

Wolf Creek Ski area would have ideal conditions around then. The hot springs are especially magical when you are soaking in a nice hot pool with snow falling around you.

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM
hotlanta

Are the roads safe to drive on if they are so icy? I have no experience driving in snow or ice and have really only been in snow once in my life.

Is the drive from Denver any better?

Jan 14th, 2003, 02:29 PM
travellyn

The drive from ABQ is probably easier than the drive from Denver. It is more likely that you'll have dry roads than ice, but it would be good to find out about road conditions that day. I don't have that number for New Mexico; I expect it can be found on the internet.

Driving on snow/ice is safest with chains or snow tires, but if it's only a little ice here and there, you can do fine with regular tires as long as you keep your speed down and avoid braking or changing gears while on the ice. Once again, if you encounter any on the highway, it will likely be only for short stretches in the shade at higher elevations. If possible, you might plan to leave ABQ around noon, in order drive at the warmest time of the day.

If you plan to do any exploring in the Pagosa Springs area, you can count on driving on some snow and ice.

Why February? Are your plans flexible enough to come later in the year? May through September are beautiful months to visit.

Jan 15th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Hotlanta

Thanks for your informative response.

We have a place to stay in Feb. and are trying to decide whether this would be a good time to go or not. It sounds like the spring/summer months may be a better time to visit.