Can we drive to Vail?

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Casey

Can we drive to Vail?

Are thinking of Colorado trip mid November. Can we drive a Honda from Denver to Vail? Would we need four wheel drive? Or should we go some place in Colorado where roads are less of a problem? Loved Estes Park and Colorado Springs. Wanted something new. From Texas and don't love messy driving. Any tips are welcome. Willing to consider other area and do CO mountains in summer or fall.

Oct 27th, 2002, 09:36 PM
SSJ

Your Honda, if it is well-tuned and in good condition, should make it to Vail with no problem. You shouldn't need a 4WD vehicle unless there is a couple of feet of unplowed snow on the road (I'm guessing, since you said you don't love messy driving, that you'll decide not to drive long before this happens). Of course, snow is a possibility, but recent years have been relatively dry in November and the roads are cleared fairly quickly. Since you'll be driving well-traveled highways, I don't anticipate you having any problems.

Oct 28th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Smila

Vail is right on Interstate 70, so you'll be traveling on well maintained roads. The only problems would be if there is a storm or if there has just been a storm and the roads are slick. What kind of Honda is it? When I first moved to Colorado I had a Honda Civic. I found it was too heavy in the back and fishtailed very easily.
I've driven in the mountains when I-70 was completely iced over. I wasn't driving, but it scared me. You might want to consider snow tires.

Oct 28th, 2002, 07:07 AM
David

Casey,

Having made that trip many, many times I would say that you DEFINITELY need snow tires that time of year and, preferably studded ones. It could be that you'll encounter no (or very little) snow, or you might encounter a lot. Vail Pass can be quite terrifying to drive through during--or immediately after--snow storms. It freezes up rather quickly (very windy) and can be a challenge for the inequipped car or driver.

I own two late-model Hondas and, with studded snows, they handle very well in winter. However, I would not trust them in that region with all-season radials or similar tires.

Have a great trip.

Davidcs

Oct 28th, 2002, 07:52 AM
coskier

Casey, I drive my front wheel drive car without snow tires all year long. never have had a problem. I go to the mtns allmost every weekend. You might(hopefully) see snow but as others said they do a good job clearing the roads. If your really worried buy some chains just in case. Go slow and you will be fine.

Oct 28th, 2002, 10:04 AM
x

I have driven to all the places you named.... in a Honda! You are way over concerned. If the weather is bad its bad for everyone else too.

Oct 28th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Casey

Great ideas. Thanks. Good idea to use snow tires. Being from Texas, I didn't think of that.

Oct 29th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Gretchen

Daughter owned a Honda and lived in Estes Park for a year without studded tires. I have driven from Vail in driving snow to the airport most times we skiied Vail. They plow the roads. Youare going in November--there may or may not be ANY snow. Worry more about the engine and pulling the long hills.

Oct 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
its

Its coming down pretty good right now!!! I hear we are in for a snowy winter. Yeeha!!!!

Oct 29th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Don

Yes, but it's still a SLOW GO driving UP some of those areas on I-70--and that was in the summer--so make sure your care is well tuned!!