Are Westin's Heavenly Beds really special

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Mark

Are Westin's Heavenly Beds really special

Has anyone tried Westin's Heavenly Beds, which the chain is promoting? Are they special enough to try to stay at a Westin vs. another comparable hotel? (In my case, the Westin Portland (Ore.) vs. 5th Avenue Suites.)

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:04 PM
sleepin

If you are alone it doesn't really matter; just choose the cheapest one and use the savings for the hotel bar.

If you have a partner with you then 'yes', they are special enough to justify trying them out.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Mina

I travel alone a lot. I personally, would choose the heavenly bed over a comparably priced hotel that doesn't have one. I've slept in one too many bad beds, so I appreciate that I get a nice bed at Westin. After all...I am paying to SLEEP at a hotel.

About three years ago, a bunch us from our company had to stay at the Westin in Atlanta. We were supposed to dump off our stuff after check-in and go out for a drink.

We did...but two hours later. As soon as we discovered the beds, we all took naps!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:40 PM
x

But Mina, did you nap alone or with your colleagues? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Mina

ahhh...I see. But some things should not be for public consumption.

Let's just say that unlike your fodors moniker, there were no X's in my nap.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Daniel

I am one of the few people who does not like the "Heavenly Bed." The comforters are gorgeous and I love the extra pillows, but Westin's lack of fitted sheets means the bottom sheets tend to come loose and I wake up wrapped up in the bedding!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:55 PM
marge

I didn't realize they didn't use fitted sheets. Any idea why not?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:58 PM
xxx

Lots of hotels don't used fitted sheets (two types of sheets to inventory rather than one).

Love the Heavenly Beds!!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Daniel

I do realize many hotels use flat sheets only and do the "hospital corners" style of bedmaking, but I've never had a bed unravel like Westin's always seem to do!

Also, the bed itself varies from hotel to hotel. The Westin Chicago has beautiful bedspreads and pillows, Essex House in NYC okay, and the Westin in LA downright awful.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:07 PM
HFM

I love the Westin heavenly beds...mine in Chicago never came unraveled. HFM

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Mike

I LOVE Westin's Heavenly Beds, and yes, I would definitely choose a Westin for this reason if everything else was about equal.
Very few hotels use fitted sheets (too hard/expensive to wash and fold automatically)....even $500/night hotels don't use them.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:24 PM
liz

Yes they are great even if you are alone. the bed is just so soft you sink into it. I stayed at the westin in Houston and I sleep like a rock. I will always remember that night. I would definitly stay at the westin. If it cost too much call direct and ask for the lowest rate and if they say one price for one night ask if you can have that price for all nights. I just did and they gave it to me. Good luck and have fun in your heavnely bed.

Liz

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:39 PM
OO

Guys, the flat sheet rather than fitted has nothing to do with inventory etc. As Mike said, the machine that irons and folds the sheets cannot handle fitted, for whatever reason. This is a completely automated, no-hands-on process that all hotel laundries use.

The Heavenly bed does have a higher thread count, thus is slicker, and for that reason *may* be harder to keep together. Be careful pulling the top sheet out...that's the beginning of the unraveling.

Oh yes, even hoteliers hate the flat sheets. Someone invent a better machine--think of the money to be made!