Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris or Prince De Galle? You choose where we stay, thank you!

Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi

After posting a question about hotels yesterday I found out the Hotel DU Louvre was very over priced for when I go. My girlfriends have narrowed it down to these 2 for starpoint reasons. Has anyone stayed at either one? I think the Prince De Galle is in a more upscale neighborhood. Very expensive. While the Louvre area for the westin will probably be more casual?? WHat do you all think of the neighborhoods, hotels rooms etc. Where would you stay? Thank you very much!!!!
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

I already answered you about the Westin on your first thread... to answer this one briefly, the Westin is a superb hotel and if you can afford it, go for it. I would not say that the neighborhood is casual..the Westin is an upscale hotel in an very upscale neighborhood but I am not sure how that would affect you. You do not have to wear dressy clothing. You are not going to find inexpensive ethnic eateries in the area of the Westin. Nor will you find bargain shopping..it is near the big-name designer boutiques and shops.

Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Did you check the Virtuoso rate for the Hotel du Louvre? 300 EUR per night ... and with the family plan, the second room is half price, 150 EUR per night.

The Virtuoso rates include daily breakfast and other amenities.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
DAX

The Westin have some horrible rooms in their lowest category. I've stayed there twice and was lucky to be upgraded both times, however last year we've seen a meltdown from some american hotel guests in the hotel lobby due to the terrible rooms they got: very small dungeon basement rooms, tattered furniture and wallpaper. The hotel told them sorry they had no room to upgrade despite the guests loud complaining and demands to see the manager who told them the same. In the meantime they quietly upgraded us to a very nice large room with an alcove.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

I stayed at the Prince de Galle on Starwood points in 2005. They gave us a large, comfortable room with twin beds. The best part was that the room was air-conditioned and we were there when temperatures were in the 90s. The bathroom was nice with lots of amenities. And they provided robes and slippers. We were able to walk to the Eiffel Tower from the hotel.

I walked by the Westin a couple of months ago. It looked nice, although my preference is to stay in more of a "neighborhood." We stayed in an inexpensive hotel (Hotel Monge) in the Latin Quarter this year. It also had air-conditioning.

Given the choice of the two hotels, and knowing that the room will be free, I would take the Prince de Galle over the Westin. There is no way I would pay the high prices of either of them.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM

I've stayed at the Prince De Galle and the Renaissance near the Westin. Both are in nice areas, but it depends on what you'd like to do.

I prefer the location of the Westin, because I like being close to that shopping area and the restaurants. The Prince De Galle is near the Champs and the huge Louis Vuitton store, but I found the nearby restaurants overpriced.

With that being said, either hotel should be very nice, and the trip will be what you make it. Book either one knowing that you'll be happy with it.

By the way, many people have tried and succeeded in getting the Westin on Priceline for 200 Euro per night. It's a gamble when you try Priceline, but if you're trying to get a 4*+ hotel, most of those hotels are equivalent in comfort. You can check winning bids for Priceline on BiddingForTravel.com and BetterBidding.com.

Have a good trip!
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
DAX

I also prefer the Westin location over the Prince de Galles. Using points may be the better way to get the better rooms. I wonder if they gave the lesser rooms to the Priceline customers telling them that they had no other rooms for them when they actually gave us the better rooms.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM

Priceline used to have a "4* Plus" bidding category for Paris, but it no longer does. Now the highest category is "4* Superior", which is basically the standard 4* just like most cities have.

That means it will now be very hard to win places like the Intercontinental hotels, the Westin, and the Hotel Scribe, all of which used to be 4* Plus hotels, because cheaper "regular" 4* hotels will probably win the bid.