Reload this Page >

Bryce Canyon Mule Rides

Search

Bryce Canyon Mule Rides

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
xxx

Bryce Canyon Mule Rides

Has anyone experienced the ride in Bryce Canyon? Zion Mule Ride? Any comments?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:41 AM
xxx

I'm certain there are horseback rides available at Bryce. Not so sure about a mule though.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM
XXX

Anyone riden either a mule or horse in Bryce and/or Zion?

I am booked to do the 1/2 day ride in Bryce and was looking for comments.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Tricia

Hi xxx,
I would like to know about the horseback rides at Bryce also.
You stated you have already reserved a 1/2 day ride.
I wasn't aware that one needed to book this in advance. Is it really necessary? We're only going to be there for one day in July.
What does everyone think?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Dayle

Hi Everyone! Both parks are very busy in the summer, so I would recommend booking your rides in advance. I would also recommend taking the earliest morning ride available. Temps will be more pleasant and you will probably see some wildlife in Zion.

The rides at Bryce go down into the canyon. The one I took at Zion went along the canyon floor & riverbed. I think Zion has another one that goes up to the Emerald Pools, also a popular & easy hike. Both rides are the typical, tame, nose-to-tail, non-rider-friendly rides.

Zion uses mostly horses & Bryce uses a mix of horses & mules. Mules are more surefooted than horses & do better overall on the canyon trails.

Have a good time!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Tricia

Thank you so much Dayle for the information!
My family's staying at Ruby's Inn. Accoring to their website, they have horseback trips to Bryce available there.
I've read that there are also trips available right @Bryce.
Is it best to reserve @Bryce?
Just wondering if you have an opinion. Thanks again, Tricia

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Dayle

Hi Trisha! Sorry, I personally haven't gone with either. I prefer to hike when it comes to the canyons. I'm not sure there would be much difference.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:10 AM
rqf

I did the 1/2 day ride at Bryce some years back. It was a wonderful experience. They used both horses and mules - I had a mule. The animals walk on the outside edge of the trail - no guardrials. Can be a little frightening at first. I was not in the best of shape when I did this - ached for a few days after the ride

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:42 AM
Dave

We did both a few years back. The Bryce ride was much more interesting. The Zion was tamer. Sometimes it may be a little scary, but you have to have confidence in the horses or mules.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:40 AM
xxx

Thanks guys!

rfq - did your ride take you thru the peek-a-boo trail. I was told if you take the 1/2 day ride, you see all Bryce.

I was hoping the Bryce ride would be less frightening. I chose it over the Grand Canyon for that reason. Are the edges of the trail high with great drops (or looking at the brochure, on an incline - so if you fall you just roll not drop hundreds of feet)

The Zion ride looks neat also with the one tour going thru the water.

If you had 1 day at both Zion and Bryce would you ride both or would you miss out without hiking at least 1.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:37 AM
OliveOyl

xxx, I think the answer to your last question pretty much depends on you. I *love* exercise and a sense of exertion, and am not too keen on horseback riding, so for me, I'd hike any day rather than ride. If you don't find hiking enjoyable, then perhaps the trail ride is better.

There are some fantastic trails, in Zion especially, that you could never do via horseback and if you are fit and enjoy hiking, I'd certainly try for one of the challenges and experience a bit more than you could on horseback.

Bryce, by the way, does not have the drop-offs that the Grand Canyon does, and of course it's not nearly the distance from the canyon rim to the floor. You can easily make a roundtrip circular hike, rim to floor and back, in much less than a day and have time left over for a drive along the rim to boot.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:38 AM
Patrick

I've done a half-day trip at Bryce twice, most recently this past September.
First the confusion about the mules. I'm not an expert, but don't think that mules look much different from horses. Some people seem to think that a mule looks like a donkey or something. A mule has only slightly longer or more pointed ears than most horses, and the mane is a little different. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to tell which of the animals in the line are horses and which are mules.
After several days of vigourous hiking in Yosemite, then Zion, and then Bryce, we really enjoyed the horse/mule trip in Bryce. It was almost like being in a western movie. You get a whole different perspective of the canyon and you can actually cover a lot of territory on the half day trip. It was very enjoyable. Above posters are right -- some of the mules love going right to the edge of the canyon. Mine, was, of course the worst for that. A little hair-raising, but fun.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:28 AM
xxx

Just curious - how many horses/mules ride in a one time as a group? Wondering if I were last in line how far back i'd be, especially if I needed help!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Liza

We went in September and while many people showed up, they formed groups of 8-10 and they put horses that 'get along well' together, in a certain order in line. The guides are helpful and will watch you if you get nervous around the switchbacks. We hiked in Bryce, along with a backpack trip, but a highlight was the trail ride!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Tricia

Does anybody know if there's a weight limit for horseback/mules rides @Bryce? My husband's a big guy, about 230 lbs.
Anybody??

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Conni

Hi,
Where/How do I book a Bryce Canyon 1/2 day Horse or Mule Ride? I am going to Bryce and Zion in 2 weeks. I am staying at both lodges. How are the dinners there?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Tricia

Conni,
For horseback riding at Zion & Bryce:
Canyon Trail Rides, tele (435)679-8665. According to my travel guide, there are desks inside both Zion & Bryce lodges for details. Reservations are advised.

I'm also leaving in 2 weeks, first stop, Moab. Can't wait!!
Have a great trip!
p.s. The weight limit is around 220 lbs.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Conni

We just got back and the 1/2 day horseback ride in Bryce was Great! My 12 year old daughter got a horse and my husband and I got assigned mules. There were 9 of us following a cowboy winding in and around and up and down the canyon. The ride covered a lot of ground and even though we did some hiking it was a whole different perspective to see it from a horse/mule. The animals were trained to follow the one in front and they were gentle and well behaved. The cowboy points out interesting rock formations and provides for a rest and water stop half-way into the trip. We all felt it was well worth the time and money.

Please be advised that not all horse trips are actually taking place in Bryce Canyon. Some outfits take you into Red Rock Canyon, which is also beautiful, but it is not Bryce. So if you want Bryce - use the number Tricia refers to in the above posting. Thanks a bunch Tricia!
I would advise making reservations, our trip on a Monday was fully booked.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Mary

We (my husband and I) took the Bryce half-day ride last spring. The scenery was spectacular. However, I am not an experienced horse-person, and for me this was the absolutely scariest thing I have ever done. Don't think I would do it again. I think it depends on how comfortable you are on a horse. My horse knew full well that I had no control over him and he let me know who was boss. He dawdled then trotted and just plain scared me silly.

Am I glad I did it? Sure. Want to do it again? no way.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:13 AM
suzanne

I did the 2-hour ride in Zion and the 1/2 day ride in Bryce.

The 2-hour Zion one was very tame and unexciting. We went along the bottom of the canyon and crossed the river. Didn't see much...we had the same view for the whole ride. It wasn't really worth the money. (I'm more of a hiker anyway...Angels Landing, now THAT's exciting!)

The Bryce ride was much better...we got to see a lot of the canyon from many different viewpoints. We stopped and took a break in the middle of the ride at a corral where one of the guides did rope tricks. However, I must warn you, if you're not used to riding horses, your knees will be KILLING you for a day or two - from the unnatural angle of your legs when you're riding the horse. It kept me from hiking the following day, so I almost wish I hadn't done it. As for the safety issue, mules are very sure-footed and not likely to fall off a cliff. Yes, it was a little scary being high up and on the edge of a ledge. One other thing...the most memorable part of the ride was the extreme flatulence of these animals - my God, what are they feeding them? There were about 10 of us on the ride and we were giggling throughout the trip.

If you're going to do it, definitely book ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -