Hotel Bed Spreads

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Bed Spreads

Can someone tell me how often are the bedspreads in Hotels and /or Motels washed? I have a funny feeling that it is not fresh for each guest? Is anybody else bothered or as grossed out by this as I am, and if so, do you sit on it, or use it at night for cover????? Just wondering......
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM

the only ones I'll use as a blanket are the duvets ... Westin Heavenly, sheraton sweet sleeper, Loews, etc.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:03 PM
GoTravel

Never sit on them. First thing I do when entering the hotel room is yank off the bedspread.

They get dry cleaned every other week at some hotels, less often at others.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM

How often do you wash them at home? Judging by "looking-like-new" it's not done even after every other guest... You sit on that arm-chair in your hotel room, on a bus, on an airplane, touch a library book somebody read before... how much worse a bedspread can be? And why do you think the blanket is cleaner and changed after each guest? And how do you know a pet did not use this bed just the night before? Just stop thinking about all this, enjoy your vacation! Turn it off if it's bothers you, you can't change it anyway so why be bothered? Do you sanitize the remote or the telephone before you touch it? Or a light switch? Take it easy, life is too short!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM

I never touch the bedspread except to pull it off the bed. Totally grosses me out. I never touch the blankets or comforter, either. I really appreciate the hotels that have triple sheeting where the blanket has a sheet on the top and bottom of it so it is totally covered.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Do you grab the handrail of an escalator?Think about it...........
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Never!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:04 PM

I wish my biggest concern in life was the bedspread.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:13 PM

LOL at Mike....i bet the bedspreads are gross.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:38 PM
cd

What I have against the blankets and bedspreads is that they are not changed until who knows when, we've even asked the housekeeping staff and they don't know. Now, I do sit in public seats but they have not had the sexual activity that those blankets and bedspreads have, not just even the naked butts. We ALWAYS check the beds and if we see body fluid stains, and we often have, we call housekeeping and have them change our blankets/and or bedspreads.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:11 PM

I have a friend who is a NYC police officer and she told me there was 12 different DNA "samples" on one hotel bedspread where someone who sexually assaulted. Ugh!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:45 PM
CF

Comparing handrails and other items to bedspreads is like comparing apples and oranges. I never sit naked on an escalator rail (Might be a thought tho, lol)or put it up by my face. Same with other items mentioned.

As for the bedspreads, never sit on the unless fully clothed and don't use them as covers. I also try to make sure the blanket is covered with the sheet before putting it close to my face.

I think I stayed in that hotel with the 12 DNA samples on the spread....
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Old news.
This has been hashed and rehashed here before.
And the topic's been examined on 20/20 or one of those shows.
No the bedspreads don't get washed often.
Yes they contain lots of dried human bodily secretions and dead skin.
No they shouldn't be touched with any part of your body which you'd like to remain semi-clean.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:14 PM

If you really want to avoid the spreads, you can ask housekeeping to remove it from the room when you check in. They just make your bed without the spread during your stay. I've never been refused this simple request and the reasoning is implicit to management. LMF
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Why not buy an RV where you can always live in your own standards of cleanliness? I agree that the thought is not so pleasent, but I refuse to dwell on it, that I'm going to enjoy my travels. I've never been sick, nor known anyone else to, where I could attribute it to a "used" bedspread. Chill!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Even my kids now rip those spreads off as soon as we get in a room! Thinks about all of the changed diapers, too! Too many gross things to list happen on those beds. The remote controls and telephones are gross too, feces has been found on them. Yuck, yuck, yuck! It doesn't keep me from traveling, I just have my ways for trying to keep the crud off of me.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 08:49 AM

I sat on a flight with a couple of flight attendants. They had two words of advice - kick the bedspread off with your foot and never use the coffee pot. The second was because they assert cleaners have 1 rag - and only 1 rag - for everything they clean (coffee pot, toilet, shower, floor whatever).
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM
cd

I wash the coffee pot and coffee cups with bar soap and clean towel upon entering our room. Takes only a minute and I feel much better.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Never thought about the coffe pot! Now I have to add another ritual to the madness of staying in a hotel room!!! My family will be ever so greatful!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:08 AM

*grateful

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO