Anything to do in Hot Springs, Arkansas?

May 27th, 2002, 02:02 PM
zach

Anything to do in Hot Springs, Arkansas?

We have a cabin rented near DeGray Lake in Arkansas next month. Hot Springs is not far and was wondering if there was anything to do there? Thanks

May 27th, 2002, 02:05 PM
zach

Sorry for the re-post. Don't know why it posted twice.

May 27th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Arabella

Definitely. A charming and historic town, Hot Springs was once a world-famous resort built around the thermal waters. The Victorian architecture is incredible. Lots of art galleries and restaurants. I've never been there in the summer so it may be extremely crowded. Anyone been there in June?

May 27th, 2002, 06:35 PM
texasgirl

Arabella is right, there is a lot of history there. There are still a couple bathhouses on Bathhouse Row _ one in the Arlington hotel, the other actually on bathhouse row _ where you can get an oldfashioned hot springs bath, massage, etc. Very relaxing and inexpensive but not like a fancy modern spa. Another of the bathhouses has been turned into a museum, which i found interesting. there are also a few good independent restaurants on the main strip downtown; i liked an italian place called Pompeii and a german restaurant that i can't remember the name of. However, things seem to come and go there quickly, so you ought to check before you make the drive.
Actually I don't think the crowds will be bad in June _ i think it's more crowded in the spring during horse race season...

May 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
cd

We had a massage at the spa in the hotel and it was wonderful!!!

May 27th, 2002, 09:51 PM
BJ

We have relatives who live outside of Hot Springs, between it and Hot Springs Village on Highway 7, which is one of the largest gated communities (26,000 acres, pop. about 14,000; mostly retired but no mandatory age).
Though our relatives love to cook up a storm for us (gracious southern hospitality includes feeding you huge amounts of food 3 time a day [grinning]), we have been taken to and like:
1. Bar-B-Q: McClard's on Albert Pike Road.
My favorite pulled pork sandwich, however, is at the small bar-b-que place on Highway 7, adjacent to the golf driving range. I forget its name.
2. Pizza: Papa Johns and Rod's - both on Central Avenue, I think.
3. Homestyle: Dixie's on Central Avenue - famous for their 16 side orders of which you get 2 with every meal and for their country fried steak. Another feature is an old time ice cream counter.

If you like antiques and indoor flea markets, you will be very busy trying to see them all.

Take a tour of Hot Springs using the Yellow Ducks; a fun thing..open air vehicles.
You don't have to be a guest of the Arlington to use their hot spring spa and it has a lovely old dining room for a *nice* meal.
As said before, quite a few art galleries; they sometimes have special Thursday evening events.
There's a regular mall and an outlet mall.
Oh, I decided to get you the official website for Hot Springs:

http://www.hotsprings.org/

P.S. DeGray Lake is only one of several in the nearby area.
Hot Springs Village actually has 5 or 6 of its own, along with 7 differnt golf courses.
When we go there on vacation, we return needing to rest up and go on a serious diet.
Have a good time, Zach, you won't be bored.

May 28th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Christie

My family owns timeshares at Sunbay Resort, and my husband and I spent a week there in 1994 for our honeymoon. You MUST go get a bath at one of the bathhouses downtown! We went to the Buckstaff and it was very good. We laugh that we both came out feeling like cooked spaghetti! Also, drive around up in the hills to Eureka Springs for a day. There are lots of good antique places there, too. Old Fort Washington, just outside of Hope, is a neat restored antebellum village with a good restaurant. Have fun!

May 28th, 2002, 06:56 AM
susan

Zach - I'm really curious to know where you've rented a cabin! I've looked into cabins at DeGray and haven't found much.

I agree with most things the other posters have said. In my opinion, the baths at the Buckstaff are better than the ones at the Arlington. McLard's does have the BEST barbeque imaginable. As for a trip to Eureka Springs, it's 230 miles from Hot Springs, so I'd rule out a day trip.

May 28th, 2002, 04:30 PM
zach

Thanks to all who responded. I was thinking this was going to be a very layed back, relaxing vacation, but the mention of antique shops and flea markets have really gotten my attention. So maybe I'll just worry about resting when we get home.
Susan....friends of ours go at least once a year and gave me info. From what we can find, there is a place that has 6 cabins and a homeowner that rents out 1 cabin. I think the info might be on the DeGray website.

May 29th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Big Red

To really get the early 20th century feel of the area, make sure to do the baths at the Buckstaff rather than your hotel...it's much more authentic.

For a good breakfast, eat at Granny's Kitchen on Bathhouse Row...the most hugest (if that's a word) biscuits you'll ever eat!