Affinia hotels-which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a weekend mid November and having a very difficult time finding a reasonable hotel rate. Have made reservations at the Beekman Tower Hotel for $249, and the Affinia Dumont for $289. The Dumont is a more central location and recently renovated, but I'd love some feedback on both properties to help my decision. I've checked Tripadvisor, but still undecided. Anybody stayed at either of these two properties recently? Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Hi - I stayed at the Affinia 50 (on 50th & 3rd Ave) in June and loved it! The room was huge and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Although I haven't stayed at the Affinia Dumont, I understand they have the same beds and the rooms are similar. Personally I would go with the Affinia -- the rooms are more up-to-date than the Beekman rooms (again -- I haven't stayed at the Beekman but have had clients stay there).
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Have recently been made aware of a website

www.apartments2book.com

Their properties are mostly apartment style hotels but the prices are evidently dramatically less than from the hotels themselves. You might want to check it out. Their #1 & #3 look to be the Affinia 50 & the Kimberly. It doesn't appear they have the Beekman Towers.

Between the 2 you're pondering, I guess it depends on what you plan to do. I'm not a fan of the 34th st area but I suppose it's generally more convenient. At those prices, I'd go for the Beekman Tower.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

I've also found the Affinia 50 for $274. I'm so confused, verylittle info available on these properties. What don't you like about the 34th street area? It seemed closer to Times Square and shopping than the Beekman.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:47 AM

There's nothing wrong with 34 st and it is closer to TS and shopping but I don't think it's worth $40/night more. The area around the Beekman has a lot more charm and is more interesting imo. If they were priced the same I might say the Dumont is a newer renovation, has a spa etc., go for it.

But I love the location of the Affinia 50! That is worth it. Lots of good restaurants at all prices, walk to Bloomingdales, Fifth Ave., there's a crosstown bus to get you to the theater district or 2 different subway lines. That's what I'd pick.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, you've stayed at the Affinia 50? It was nice?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I haven't stayed there (used to live in the neighborhood) but many others have and everyone seems to love it. The building was an apt. building so rooms are large. Some have balconies. It was renovated within the last year or so. The neighborhood is, imo, the best combo of residential and commercial. Look at reviews on tripadvisor.