Need help choosing B/T 2 very different hotels in Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and 2 sons (ages 16 and 28) are going to the city 12/25 to 12/28. We have narrowed our hotel choices between The Milburn Hotel at 242 West 76th Street and the Southgate Towers (part of the Affinia group) at 371 Seventh Avenue "Steps away from Penn Station, Madison Square Garden and Jacob Javits Center". Both hotels offer good prices on 1BR suites.
Number One Son is promoting The Southgate--as it seems central. My wife is promoting The Milburn, as it seems to be in a very pleasant location.
The itinerary so far is:
The Metropolitan Museum
The Guggenheim
The UN
Rockerfeller Center (on XMas day)
The Chrysler Building
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:30 AM

While the location of the Southgate may seem central, it's not a very attractive neighborhood IMO. Restaurants in the immediate area are limited (although 10 blocks north is Times Square with lots of choices)

I personally would much prefer the location of the Milburne which is a somewhat residential area with lots of shops, restaurants & good transportation.

Have you looked at the Shelburne in the affinia group? It's on the east side (your itinerary is mostly east side locations). The Surrey (more $ but also in the Affinia group) is east side uptown very near the Metropolitan & Guggenheim in a lovely upscale part of town.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. The Shelburne is a good choice------but it's not available.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:01 AM

I wouldn't recommend Southgate because of its location
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Eldorado, I was just doing a search last night for 1 bedroom suites for family coming over. The Beekman Towers is an all suite hotel I think. It's very close to the UN.

The Beacon Hotel is in the same general area as the Milburne & has 1 bedroom suites. There's also a place called Radio City apartments with suites.

Finally, this website

http://www.hospitalitycompany.com/
has apts. They're advertising a rate of $189.night for a 1 bedroom at east 55th st if you book by 12/15. I don't know anything about this last site (I found it by doing a text search here) but it sounds good. Don't know how it compares to the Millburne though.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:48 AM

We stayed at the hospitality.com apartment/hotel property on 49th (bet 3d & Lex, I think) a few years ago and were very, very pleased with it. Spacious, clean, a complete, fully equipped kitchen - and someone who stopped by to deliver the first morning's breakfast - muffins, juice, etc. We'd go back in a NY minute. Great location, too with tons of restaurants in the surrounding area.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:57 AM

I've been in the Milburn, it's decent.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Hello:

My husband and I have stayed at The Milburn Hotel. The bedroom was huge, nice size adjoining room with sofa, t.v. and small table and chairs for eating. The kitchen was small, but nice to have a place for drinks, snacks and adequate for breakfast. Location is excellent with plenty of places to eat, including very reasonable diner's. I am unable to help with how the location is with what you plan to see and do. Subway is close by and taxi's are easy enough to get.

One of our son's lives in New York and we have been 2 times. Enjoyed each visit so much. Love this city.

Please post back as to where you do end up staying.

Sandy
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Rob

Either one would be a good choice. As a native New Yorker who works where one hotel is located and lives near the other, I would choose the Milburn - a more congenial location since it is residential as opposed to commercial.