Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York - Doubletree Suites or Waldorf-Astoria suite?

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have narrowed down our search for the most suitable hotels for our family of four to these two (and possibly the Gorham Hotel).

We prefer Hilton brand because we are entitled to Honors upgrades.

The important considerations for us are room size, bedding (need 2 beds/sofa or 3 beds), location and cost.

Opinions, anyone?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:06 AM

DoubleTree without a doubt! I think it has to do with the Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:52 AM

DeeDee

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels but they are in very different locations (despite all being in midtown). All, by the way, get good reviews on tripadvisor.com

You list location & cost as 2 important considerations but don't tell us the cost difference or what location you want (or what you plan to do.) The Doubletree is in the middle of Times Square-very busy & touristy. It's also probably the newest of the 3. It's a good location if you're planning theater and don't mind hussle & bustle.

The Gorham is in a quieter area but still central & rooms are large (I've seen them).

The Waldorf is one of the most elegant "old world" hotels in the city & many foreign dignitaries stay there. Consequently, security there has been very visible lately.

I don't know which of these is a Hilton brand, but I'd personally choose the Gorham to be central but not on top of things. I think most other posters will opt for the Doubletree.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

McLaurie,

We have chosen the mid-town area for location because it is so central to many areas and activities of the city.

I am not too thrilled with staying right on Times Square, but we want to walk many places (Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, theatre, Empire State Bldg. and Central Park) so we need to be centrally located. We will be arriving on Amtrak at Penn Station on a Sunday afternoon in June.

We have already booked at Doubletree Suites and have a $208 room rate. We can opt for the Waldorf-Astoria and have a 450 sq. ft. 1-bedroom suite for $325 per night. The Gorham is offering a 1-bedroom suite for $238 plus perhaps an extra $20 for our 16 year old.

All of the above have the features we need. I am a bit concerned about the room size at the Doubletree. Called them to ask what the sq. ft. of the rooms are and no one seemed to have an answer. That seemed strange to me.

So any thoughts on this?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Whoops, forgot to add that both the Waldorf-Astoria and the Doubletree Suites are Hilton properties. We are entitled to upgraded rooms upon check-in if available and free breakfast each morning. Also, my husband feels certain that the Astoria will give us a key to the concierge level which has a hospitality suite open all day with food and beverages served complimentary. These are very nice amenities and quite a cost saver in the long run for a family with two teens.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:40 PM

DeeDee

From what I read here, teens just love staying in Times Square which is a vote for Doubetree. I guess what I would do is go to tripadvisor.com & read reviews of each of these properties to see if that helps you make a decision. I don't know where you're from or how familiar you are with New York but the Gorham may be the least glamorous but the best all around choice for location, price & accomodation. If there are police or militia with machine guns at the Waldorf entrance will that bother you? Don't mean to scare you. It's just a fact of life right now. Read the reviews on tripadvisor & see what you think.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Three of us have stayed twice at the Doubletree and were highly satisfied and loved the location........we walked everywhere. We had two double bedsin the bedroom and a sofa-bedin the living room that could have slept two....there were also three sinks, two in the bathroom and a one at the "bar"....the second time we went there we didn't get that, but changed rooms as it was important to us........Had breakfast at the Waldorf......over $100 for three, but fun anyway........closet and drawer space were okay also.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:12 PM
GoTravel

While the Doubletree is a great hotel, my pick would be the Waldorf. Great hotel bar and a superior location. Right behind Saks Fifth Avenue and tons of wonderful shopping, right behind St. Patrick's Cathedral, and a stones throw to Rock Center. I just love this hotel, it is one of my favs in the world.

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses!

McLaurie, are you saying that there are police with machine guns now in front of the Waldorf 24/7? If so, that would factor into our decision.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:46 PM

DeeDee
I don't know if they're there right now but they were at the beginning of the war because dignitaries were staying there which is a common occurence.

I spent some time today & read the reviews her on Fodors Rants & Raves of the Waldorf. You should read them-not good.

What about the Hilton on 6th Ave.?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:09 PM

After posting, I read the rants & raves on the NY Hilton & they're mixed despite the graet location (near the Gorham by the way). But the reviews for the new Hilton Times Square are great. What about that?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:17 PM
jd

We have stayed at the Doubletree suites,and as far as suites go, it is small. Its like an average size room partitioned in two. It does have 2 tv's and a door to seperate the rooms, but if it is space you want, the Marriott Marquis across the street is much roomier. You could get the 2 beds plus a cott. The doubletree room was also very dark and dreary. I would not recommend it. The Parker-Meridian also has suites.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM

definitely the Waldorf and DO NOT MISS the Sunday brunch at the waldorf, in the "peacock" alley."
absolutely one of the best food in NYC is waldorf's "waffle." unforgettable.
Waldorf's brunch is a wonderful family experience. It all so so good !
You will feel SAFE at the waldorf.
have a wonderful time
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:28 AM

I'll second that for the Waldorf. I stayed in a suite there for New Year's Eve a year ago after a fabulous party on Park Avenue. WOW. Very posh, elegant, refined, expensive and tres fun. We had two beds and a sofa. What a location. The next day, we joined lots of friends for the brunch - ooh lala. Ice sculptures, fabulous people watching, from the elegant ladies who brunch to others in leather corsets - only in the big apple, eh?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:08 AM
Tess

DeeDee,
Is the Waldorf suite two separate rooms? I haven't stayed there but we did stay at the Doubletree with our two kids. As other posters have mentioned, the suite is small in terms of square footage but having two rooms, two tvs, multiple sinks, etc. was NICE! Our kids thought staying in Times Square was totally fab. Wouldn't worry about distances--both the Waldorf and the Doubletree are centrally located--we're used to spread-out western towns/cities and found it amazingly easy and quick to walk from one place to another. Taxis are easy to hail and not that expensive. We also opted for the two-day Grey line (am having brain freeze--is that what it's called?) bus tour. You can hop and off the tour anywhere in Manhattan (if you spring for the whole package). After taking the whole tour once, we ended up using the bus for transportation. Each bus has a tour guide who gives info. as you drive--each one had different facts and tips about New York.

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:24 AM

I'd go with the Waldorf. It is true there are more visible security forces at many sites these days. The Palace Hotel was full of them several weeks ago when I was there, apparently watching the back of St. Pat's.

On the other hand, I stayed at the Gorham and was very happy there. It is nice having a kitchenette, handy with kids. Complete with fridge, microwave, sink, and plates, silverware.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:19 AM

You can stay at a Doubletree anywhere. The Waldorf is a NY icon.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Seems the tide as turned toward the Waldorf.

The suite we are looking at there is a 1 bedroom suite. Has a bedroom with 2 double beds and a separate parlour with a sofa (may not have a door between, but they are two separate rooms).

Interestingly, I emailed Hilton when no one at the Doubletree front desk could tell me the sq. ft. of the suites. Hilton responded by email that the DBL bed suites are 489 sq. ft and the King slightly less. The suites that face Times Sq. are all King suites that are only 407 sq. ft.

The Waldorf suite is 450 sq ft, slightly smaller. These are not large rooms!

Thanks for all the feedback.