Salisbury or Affinia Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip with 3 other women to NY for next May and have booked 1 bedroom suites at the Salisbury and Affinia Manhattan. I originally booked the Salisbury and then noticed some recent negative reviews for it on Trip Advisor. The Affinia is $70 more a night - is it worth the extra? We don't need high end accomodations obviously but I want to be sure it's clean and comfortable. Also, what's the approximate walking distance between the two hotels? I've been to NY a few times but a couple of the gals haven't been at all so they want to see "it all" - I expect both hotel are in good locations for that - correct?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? I have done research on these two hotels - I'm just hoping to hear from someone who's stayed at or is familiar with both. Because I've taken on the job of planning for our trip I feel somewhat responsbile that the other girl's stays are pleasant - I'm hoping they'll love the city and everything about it as much as I do.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We (4) women have stayed at the Salisbury on all our trips to NYC (I think it's been 4 trips, or was it 5?) We absolutely love the location (on WEST 57TH STREET), I think it's between 6th & 7th aves. Tiffany's only 1 block away (5th ave & W 57th st)& lots of the luxury stores within easy walking distance. Carnegie Hall is at the end of the block, across the street going west, I think. The Russian Tea Room used to be direclty across the street from Salisbury, but no more. Awhile back it was a PLANET HOLLYWOOD,but, that may have changed by now, too. But, we've walked all over, every time we've been there. (we've walked from the hotel to the Empire State Bldg, Macy's, St. Patrick's Cathedral,etc. It's a bit of a hike, but, there's so much to see, it doesn't seem so long. Of course we were younger then, but, I think we can still do it. Rockefeller Center & Radio City Music Hall is with in easy walking distance.
The hotel isn't fancy, but, it's always suited our needs. We like the extra sitting area to relax & spread out, so we're not all in the bedroom all the time. I remember it as being fine for us, although maybe once or twice we needed a light bulb or 2. We've always gotten a "suite", which has a sitting room (sofa, which may or may not be a hide-a-bed, 2 chairs, coffee table, armois w/TV,) and also a little kitchentte area, sink, micro, I think, coffee maker & mini fridge. Also, a little dining table w/chairs. There's lots of nice closet space, too. (closet in main sitting/dining area, plus at least 2 closets in the bedroom). Our bedroom has always had 2 double beds.
1 bathroom for the 4 of us, but, we always made it work. We love staying there, cuz now we have our sense of direction from that point. We've always felt safe, even walking around at night, which we've done many times. Always being aware of our surroundings.
(I think its about 2 - 3 blocks north to Central Park, at 60th or 61st street. We've walked to Times Square (daytime & nightime), & feel totally safe.
The Salisbury is on a busy street, obviously, but, once you get accustomed to the noise, it's really not too bad.
I've never stayed at Affinia (don't know where it is,but sounds like it's in the area, what's the address? I see more than one, is this the AFFINIA 50 - Midtown, 155 East 50th street? Pictures on website look nicer that Salisbury. But, I think the Salisbury has a website, don't they?)
I wish I was going to NYC! We were last there in 2002,time to go again! (our girls group just got back from our 18th year of travelling together, & this time it was Richmond, VA. (it was ok, but we've had better trips). Obviously we like NYC the best (or at least I do!)
I remember taking the subway from the corner of 57th & 7th ave, (not sure what 'color' (red? blue? green? orange?) line it was, but, we seemed to have use that sub-way line the most.
I think there have been other posts on this site, for SALISBURY HOTEL, you may want to search for those. GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN
(I think I'm already psyching myself up that the girls have to go to NYC fall 2006!)
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Hi, not sure how much help I can be. We stayed at the Affinia Manhatten 7 years ago and are booked to stay there for a week over xmas. WE loved the area and the ease of getting everywhere. Last time we had a one bedroom suite (4 of us) and it was perfect. 2 bathrooms and the view of the ESB was awsome. We could lay in bed at night and see the lights on it, Fantastic.
I will be happy to let you know what its like on our return, which is the end of Janurary.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks CJB and Aussiedreamer. The hotels both generally get good comments but just recently I saw a few negative ones for the Salisbury and it concerned me a bit - maybe it just needs a bit of freshening. The Affinia Manhattan is at 31st and 7th - near Macy's and the Empire State Building. It looks lovely and it gets consistently good reviews - maybe I'll go with it this time but try to pop into the Salisbury while I'm there to see what I think. I agree that the Salisbury location seems terrific being so close to the park. I've mostly stayed at the Belvedere and have been really happy there (really good room rates and excellent staff) but the rooms are a bit of a tight squeeze for 4. I think I'm a bit anxious this time - even though I'm usually the planner girl for these trips (always with girlfriends - my hubby's a travel poopout) -because this time there's a friend coming along who I haven't seen in many years and although the other two are very close friends of mine who I know would be happy with any clean room, I'm not sure about the newby and what she's used to. Guess I could ask her.

I hope you do get a chance to go again soon CJB. I first went to NY in 2001 and have been lucky enough to make it back a couple times a year since. I live in Canada but take Jet Blue from Buffalo (about an hour drive from here) for about $100 US round trip - can't beat that. I love it there and always feel very comfortable. Last year I was there during the Tribeca Film Festival and my friend and I made it back to the hotel from the Lower East Side around 1:30 am via walking, 3 subway lines and then more walking - I never felt the least bit nervous.

That would be great if you could let me know how you enjoy the Affinia M when you get back Aussiedreamer - it sure sounds nice. I've booked suites at both hotels - at the Affinia I booked a suite with 2 queens and a sofa pullout. I booked through the hotel website at $409 but I'm thinking I may be able to get a lower rate closer to when we go - although - we had a really hard time getting a moderate rate for a hotel last fall when I went. The Belvedere was fully booked when I planned the trip about 3 months before leaving and rates througout the city were higher than I've seen and availability was hard to come by too. That's why I'm getting a head start on this trip.

Take care and thanks again for your reply. I'll look forward to hearing your report next February AD.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Just stayed in NYC last weekend at the Affinia.I needed to be near penn station so i chose this hotel over others in better neighborhoods.The hotel ia a nice three star with large nice rooms and kitchens,very clean and has a nice staff.I would caution you because of the noise.We stayed on the21st, floor on 7th avenue.It was very noisy and there are church bells that go off for about 1hr beg at 8:30Am(we stayed sat. night so maybe the bells only go off on Sunday).I have not stayed at the salsbury but the location is much better.have you tried the Kimberly as they are a suite hotel as well.Check out trip advisor for reviews.Most hotels are noisy but the ones with double payne windows make a big dif.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:48 AM

You can get quite a bit of noise at the Salisbury, as well. (I used to stay there often because it was across the street from my company's NY offices) When we go on our own $, we like to stay at Affinia properties if they are available at a good price. (and they often have deals)
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:53 AM
GoTravel

My parents stay at the Salisbury all the time in one of their one bedrooms (room 1708 on the top floor) and I've spent tons of time there with them.

The location of the Salisbury is head and shoulders above all the Affina properties.

I love the Shelburne Murray Hill, The Surrey, and The Dumont but like the location of the Salisbury and the high ceiling so much better.

Also, my mother is picky as heck and would not stay there if there were problems.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies - I'm going to print them out - take the hotel info to my friends and let them vote on each one. I'm too confused now LOL - had pretty much decided on the Affinia but now I'm thinking it would be nice to be close to the Park and as long as the Salisbury is clean we could use the extra ca ching to do something fun with - maybe hit a extra show - or have an extra bottle of wine.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I've never stayed at either but as GoT says the location is much bettere at the Salisbury.