Need lodging in NYC for 10-12

Sep 30th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Need lodging in NYC for 10-12

Thinking of planning a gathering in NYC with family from CA, MN, WA, and FL between Christmas and New Year's. Would prefer a house, bed & breakfast or something other than standard expensive hotel rooms for a group our size. Would not have to be right in Manhattan, but would be nice. Any suggestions?
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I've never stayed here but live a block away, the Larchmont Hotel. It's in the heart of the village, on a lovely residential street. It's near many great restauarants and walking distance to other great neighborhoods. It seems to be well received from what I've read. The website is www.larchmonthotel.com.
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Interesting question Rotas. There are very few "inns" in NYC. If you really wanted to do this on the "cheap" you might consider looking into staying in dorm accomodation at one of the universities since school will be closed. I believe Colubia U. has such "deals". I seem to remember a poster here who was doing that for just his wife & child though. I'll try to find the thread for you.

Option #2 would be to pick a hotel & negotiate a special price for x number rooms. How many rooms would you need ideally?

Option #3 would be to rent a home in a close suburb of NYC. Parts of NJ would probably be closest. There's even ferry service from certain areas into Manhattan. You could look at vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). Try looking in Pacific Heights, Red Bank where I know there are large homes & nearby ferry. Other posters will hopefully have other location ideas.

Option #4 would be to rent a home not so close to NYC but in a nice setting. The Hamptons, on the eastern end of Long Island (about 2 1/2 hrs by train or bus) to NYC has some large homes that could easily accomodate your party that are rented short term for just such occasions (family reunions, weddings etc.) Prices are high for these in summer, as it's primarily a summer resort area but would probably be much less in winter. They'd have fireplace, lots of bathrooms etc. & it's really quite pretty in winter with many restaurants & shops still open.

What's your budget, how many days & how many rooms do you need ideally?
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:16 AM

I found the thread I was thinking of about staying at Columbia U. The poster was staying at the Union Theological Seminary (because her husband was a graduate). This is all the way uptown. I don't know if just anybody can avail themselves of rooms & not sure whether the price would be worth the inconvenience of the location. She said they were paying less than $100/night. Here's contact info I found on the web.

Union Theological Seminary: Landmark Guest Rooms
3041 Broadway at 121st Street
Contact: Nicole Moore; Tel.(212) 280-1313; Fax. 212-280-1488; Guest Messages: 280-1427.
$ 85-95 / night

Rotas, I'm unclear from your post whether you're looking for the feel of an Inn/home or if you're just looking for cheap sleeps for such a large crowd. If the latter, here are some other thoughts.

Quality Inn at B'way & 94th This place has, I THINK, gotten ok reviews here.

A poster from the UK found this b&b on Madison & 93rd. It's a LOVELY, family neighborhood near a lot of the museums but the place sounds like nothing much. The B & B is actually a converted apartment building so I don't think there's a common area to meet etc. I gather his room didn't quite meet expectations from the website but I think he paid $93/night for a room for 3 including tax (which I think is 13.5% in NYC.)
http://www.stay-the-night.com/accommodations.html

The Gramercy Park Hotel has some decent prices. Also in a lovely residential neighborhood (south of midtown) but the rooms can be a bit dreary. I think they've recently renovated the public space though.

Finally, there's a place listed on Fodor's NYC Hotels called The Inn on 23rd (in Chelsea) that's always intrigued me but I don't know of anyone who's stayed there. It has 14 rooms all with private bath (BTW, the Larchmont that's mentioned above has shared baths if that matters to you.) You should check it out!

Sep 30th, 2003, 12:21 PM
GoTravel

PlacesToStay.com has several B&B/Inns on their website and they are very reasonably priced.

If you do book the Gramercy Park, make sure you look at the room BEFORE you accept the room. While I love the hotel, they do have some rooms with 'problems'.

Not that there is anything wrong with staying outside Manhattan, if I had to fly in during peak season from somewhere such as FL, CA, MN, and WA, I'd be very pissed about staying in Jersey. Keep the family in Manhattan, they will be much happier. Plus, the city is so wonderful and magical at that time!

Oct 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Saw a thread asking for comments about a site that rents apts in New York --- http://www.furnapts.com/
They don't list prices, however locations are good if you do want to stay in Manhattan.