Search

back from NYC... and going again. question re: hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back from NYC... and going again. question re: hotels

hi,
we were in NYC last week. stayed at the buckingham hotel which was nice. I asked for a renovated room and didn't get one, however, the room we were in was fine (with the exception of the horrendous pull out sofa bed, which I unfortunately slept on, as my infant son is still not sleeping through the night and I wanted my husband and daughter undisturbed). I didn't want to walk barefoot on the floors, and the grout in the bathroom was disgusting, however, for the location and spaciousness at the price we paid, I can't really complain too much.

When I checked out I asked to see other rooms and in better shape and was shown a fantastic room which I will book next time. A tip: the K and G rooms are the better rooms.

Went to the Chelsea Market - I was in culinary heaven. LOVED IT!! Also visited the recently completed playground in Central Park (off of CPS, between 6th and 7th) - absolutely incredible!!!

We are headed down May 4th and 5th - not sure if it is the Tribeca Film Festival or something else, but finding a good deal has been elusive (the Buckingham is sold out, otherwise I would stay there again).

I am narrowing in on the San Carlos Hotel, or the Kimberly or possibly the Surrey (would hope for something a little nicer this time - particularly in terms of comfortable beds for all us of - hopefully the little one will be sleeping through the night by then, but who knows).

We will be attending our niece's Christening on Thursday evening on the upper East Side (around 92nd street). We will fly into LaGuardia, so accomodations on the Upper East side would be ideal, however, there isn't much out there.

Any ideas...
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

fyi: tried the manhattan club through tug2.net, to no avail - that probably would have been a fantastic situation for us at a great price. ah well, maybe next time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

oh also, read on tripadvisor about the "family suite" at City Club Hotel (which looks like a very cool place to stay). This family suite are connecting queen rooms which would be great for us. The tripadvisor reviewer got this deal for $399/ night. I called City Club. THe family suite is available but only for the price of each room individually which comes to $625... much too much for us.

I think the person used express-res to book, but that deal is not available for my dates. It does seem like a good booking site in terms of having slightly better pricing.

Does anyone know of any hidden deals that might fit the bill for me? - or if this is a busy time of year and there aren't likely to be any deals, you could let me know that too.
thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

sorry so many messages from me, but one more question: does anyone know if it is possible to stay at The New York Athletic Club if you are not a member?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the Buckingham. When you say K & G rooms are better, do you mean the layout, the cleanliness, the degree of renovation??? Also, you said you saw a fantastic room. What was fantastic about it and how would one request it?

On to your May dilemma. Of the places you mention, the Surrey is the only one on the upper eastside (I guess you know that) closest to your christening and one of the Affinia hotels. It should be nice. The restaurant Cafe Boulud is off the lobby. The area is lovely and quiet. I don't think the hotel has had a renovation recently though.

The Kimberly and the San Carlos are near each other and so is the Affinia 50. These are all midtown east. I THINK most of the rooms at the San Carlos are studios rather than 1 bedrooms, but it's more recently renovated than the Kimberly. The rooms at the Affinia 50 are very large. The Best Western Hospitality is also in this same general area and has a great price on quikbook for your dates for a 1 bedroom. I think it might be a bit nicer than what you had at the Buckingham.

The Beekman Tower, another Affinia hotel is on quikbook at around $300 for a 1 bedroom suite. This hotel is near the UN on the extreme eastside, so while not uptown, would be an easy uptown ride in taxi or bus.

Other options to consider.

In midtown, the Lombardy is another little known apt/hotel on 56 st. b/w Park and Lexington. Very large rooms but small bathrooms.

The Affinia Gardens is on the border of midtown and the upper eastside and might the best option for you depending on price. It's been recently renovated.

The Wales Hotel is on Madison & 93 st. It's an "olde world" type place that used to be a good budget option but is now pricey. A suite there might work (some of their regular rooms are tiny) but I don't think they have kitchens.

A real secret hotel that I knew nothing about until recently is the Roger Smith on Lexington & ~ 47 st. Someone, I think here, mentioned staying there. It's all suites, very low key and they do have availablity for your dates (in fact I see lots of avails for your dates on quikbook, just May prices).

I think it will come down to what location you want and how much you want to pay. The Surrey will probably be expensive for what you get (in terms of decor) but the location is nice. What else do you plan to do besides the christening and where exactly on 92 st. (ie how far east?)
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

hi mclaurie,
thanks for the tip on roger smith. i booked a room there. I decided to spend a little more and go for the Deluxe Suite, vs. the 1 Bedroom Suite.

I was told by the person who took my phone reservation that the Deluxe Suites are renovated suites with a bedroom, another smaller room and living room. He said all of the rooms are larger than the one bedroom suites. For instance he said that the living room of the Deluxe is 340 sq ft and bedroom is 198, this doesn't include the other bedroom, kitchen or bathroom. I think the combined square footage of the less expensive room was 400 or so (which will be fine at some point, but sleep is what I am after, so the extra bedroom is key for us, at this stage of the game).

More info on the Buckingham: I found out that many of the apartments are leased to people who live there permanently. As the leases are up they are taking those apartments and adding them to the hotel inventory (which seems to be the exact opposite of everywhere else in NYC). So, they refurbish these rooms as they come back into the fold and thus some units are newer and nicer than others.

The G and K rooms are Executive Suites. The G rooms are corner rooms (at the corner of sixth and 57th). The K rooms are one room in off of the elevator and face 57th. We were on the 14th floor, there was still street noise, but with the AC unit going it wasn't a problem. The rooms which are nicer are the ones where the kitchens have been removed. The one I saw had a small counter with a coffee maker, microwave and small fridge. The one we stayed in had a small kitchen. Perfectly fine and definitely clean as a whistle but very utilitarian and not at all fancy - I definitely preferred the smaller counter/kitchen vs. the full kitchen (we wouldn't be cooking in the room anyway - at most we might heat something up in the microwave or store things in the fridge). There was a pretty art glass fixture over the kitchen area. The furniture was really nice as was everything about the room - it was all shades of plum and gold but more contemporary than stately.

The room I saw which was really nice had carpeting vs. hardwood floors in the rooms we stayed in. The carpeting was new and with a subtle contemporary feel. Also the furniture was new and so was the bedding. The bathroom was the same tiny size, however, the nicer room had a new sink and floor. The floor was limestone and the sink was a modern looking (and very pretty) base with a vessel sink and spout on the wall (looked like something you would see in the bryant park hotel). It was a really nice bathroom.

I am not sure what they are doing at this hotel, but my feeling is that if they make all of the rooms as nice as this one, that the price will certainly be a lot more than $259.

I can tell you some room numbers if that is prudent. I was told that I could request a particular room, however, there wasn't a guarantee that I would get that room (which is understandable particularly if they are busy and if they get requests from other people for particular rooms). let me know if you want the room number.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, two more things. the personnel at the buckingham could not have been any nicer... no exceptions / they were all very professional and friendly with zero attitude.

the other thing, when i called the roger smith, the rate was 419 but their website had it at 400 and they honored the lower rate which i thought was really nice. yes, a lot of money for a 2.5 star hotel, but i get the feeling that we will be in a nicer room and it is definitely the space we are paying for in particular the extra bedroom.

btw, thanks for all of your help in my new york planning. you are very generous with your help and a real expert of NYC.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks for further info on the Buckingham. If I follow you, the G & K lines are larger and in some cases renovated?

I hope the Roger Smith works out for you. Must say $400/night for it sounds steep but if the extra space is good for you, okay.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

yes, $400 is alot. I might look around a little more and see what I can find, but at least I have something booked so that takes the pressure off...

My brother in law can get a corporate rate at righa royal but it looks like their larger rooms are full.

our dates seem to be a very busy time for new york
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

quick update: $400 for 2.5 star even with extra space left me feeling like i could do better.

ending up booking a one bedroom suite with guaranteed 2 double beds (better for us) for $359 at the San Carlos Hotel. I think this might be a little bit more reliable than Roger Smith (the every room being different sounds charming, however, I am one of those people who likes to be able to anticipate what they are getting).

Will report back about our stay.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:52 AM

While I would have loved a report on the Roger Smith experience, I think this choice is safer and the room will certainly be recently renovated. Have a great time!