Hotel near Upper East Side

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is moving to NYC and has rented an apartment in the Upper East Side around 83rd and 2nd St. When I visit her, I will most likely be staying in a hotel. Any suggestions? I want to do it as inexpensively as possible without staying in a total dump. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM

The Bentley Hotel is on 62nd and 1st. It's not that close but you can hop on the First Avenue bus and it will take you right on up. People I know who have stayed there said it was pretty nice and I don't think it was very expensive (at least NYC standards).
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Because the location is so far esat (NOT good for tourists) The Bentley does usually have good rates for a reasonably pleasant hotel.

Another option is one of the hotels on the upper west side - and just take the 79th St crosstown bus. There are a bunch of reasonable hotels in that area ranging from the Lucerne (pretty and pleasant) to the Belleclarie, Excelsior and Beacon (basic but clean).

Have a look at tripadvisor.com to see what appeals to you.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM

There's a newish Courtyard by Marriott on 92 st & 1st ave. At times it's pricey and other times very affordable. There's an indoor pool and rooms evidently very nice.
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/NYCMH

The Wales Hotel is an olde worldy place on Madison Ave. & 92 st that used to be affordable. Some rooms really small. If you can find a good price, might be worth a shot.

The 1871house.com is a charming b & b in the low 60's near Bloomingdales.

Affinia.com has the Affinia Gardens also in the 60's and the lovely Surrey at 77 st. b/w Madison & Fifth, normally a bit pricey but sometimes very affordable (also check quikbook.com for prices vs. affinia.com prices)

There are a few other b & b's or small hotels on the UES, but none I'd recommend. What you might well find are apts. for rent either from brokers like nyhabitat.com or on vrbo.com, craigslist.com etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM

The Franklin (http://www.franklinhotel.com/) is at 164 East 87th Street (I think its between Third and Lex).
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:31 AM

I am not a fan of the Franklin so didn't mention it. It is probably the closest to your daughter but really (imo) a hostel in disguise. Read reviews on tripadvisor which are very mixed.