NYC Quality on Broadway or Best Western Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be travelling to NYC the weekend of October 10th. We are trying to get a 4* hotel through Priceline, but as our backup plan, I have booked two rooms that meet our budget requirements of less than $150. One is at the Best Western Convention Center and the other at the Quality Hotel on Broadway. Can anyone offer any feedback on either of these hotels? Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Here are links to reviews on these 2 hotels on tripadvisor.com. While they both sound "OK" neither is very well located for typical sightseeing. Why did you choose them? There's nothing near the convention center & 94th st. & Broadway is pretty far afield. Have you tried looking at quikbooks.com for better locations?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

If you want to stay on the west side, The Beacon, The Lucerne and the Excelsior are all good hotels with usually reasonable prices on the upper west side.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. I chose these hotels for price. After reading the reviews at the links you sent, I'd say the Best Western is definitely out b/c of poor location. The Quality Hotel has a subway right across the street which will work. Also, in other reviews I've seen the Quality Hotel neighborhood sounds pretty good too. I'm going to check out the hotels you recommended! THanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM

The Quality inn (in my neighborhood) looks perfectly nice, and 'normal looking' people are in and out of it all the time. Yes, it's just across the street from a train that gets you to midtown in about 10 minutes, and because it's a residential neighborhood, there are lots of reasonable restaurants within just a few blocks
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:55 AM

The Park South Hotel has weekend packages for $299 plus tax that include 2 nights for 2, breakfast, & then choices of extras. Have a look here.

http://www.parksouthhotel.com/as_frames.htm

Also did a quick check on hotels.com & found the Belleclaire at west 77th st which is 3* for $129.95/night for Oct10-12. They also listed the Quality which is only 2* for $139.95! People have posted good things here about the Belleclaire.

BTW, Fodorites say quikbooks.com is a great website for NYC but for some reason I always seem to have a problem accessing it.

Bottom line, $150/night should get you a good 3* hotel. Good luck!

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Rob

The Quality hotel is very convenient to midtown. The entrance To the Subway is abouit 100 feet from the hotel. The express will get you to Times Square in less than 8 minutes; a local will take around 12 minutes. This is a residential neighborhood and there are many restaurants of all types within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. If you walk completely around the block you will find 8 restaurants without crossing the street. They include a Tex Mex, Peruvian, Indian, Italian, Thai , Mexican and a Spanish/Chinese restautant. There is one diner and a Chinese take out.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM

You're probably having trouble accessing the site because you have the wrong name! It's www.quikbook.com (not quikbooks).

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help! I checked out the Park South Hotel, and they gave me a weekend package for $299 which includes breakfast and a $60 certificate for the restaurant. I still have my Quality Hotel reservation. Can anyone comment on the location of this hotel which is described as "Ideally located in Manhattan's Murray Hill neighborhood on 28th Street between Park Avenue South and Lexington Avenue, the Park South is a beautifully restored historic 1906 building". Thanks so much for your help!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I work a few blocks from the hotel and it's in a great location! You will have access to the 6 train right there, and shopping on 5th Avenue or 34th Street a few steps away.

For amazing pizza in this area, I can vouch for City Market Cafe on 23rd and 5th, or Bravo Pizza on 19th and 5th which also have their own "make your own pasta or salad" thing going on in the back.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Here is a review (although a year old)from this message board

Author: Sue
Date: 08/20/2002, 01:25 pm
Message: Can't offer any advice on the above, but have returned this morning from 4 days in NYC. We stayed at Park South Hotel, on E28th between Park and Lexington, and it was great. About 30 metres from the subway, comp breakfast (a real one rather than the usual 'coffee and danish' that constitutes a comp breakfast!), good sized rooms, very clean and up together (only opened Nov 2001), bathrobe provided, in a quiet area, and all for $129 via Quikbook.

The service was great too. It was my birthday the day we arrived and the receptionist sung happy birthday (how embarassing), and arranged a card and chocolate cake compliments of the hotel.

Post again with email address if u want a more detailed conversation about it."

There's a subway at 28th & Park. This area is filled with trendy & regular restaurants. It's a combination residential & business area. I think you'd really like it. I should tell you the hotel restaurant gets a very good review in the Zagat guide but it's pricey so your $60 certficate will probably have to be supplemented for 2 of you, but a nice splurge.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you folks are great! Thanks for the additional information. I think the Park South Hotel is the way to go!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM

We stayed at the Quality Hotel on Broadway about 18 months ago (December after 9/11) and it was fine. (Previous posts are probably available?) We paid $65/night or something ridiculous like that for a room w/ private bath and king-size bed. The hotel has clearly been renovated within the last couple of years.

Our room was clean, although a bit worn. For the price, I couldn't complain! As others have mentioned, it seems like a perfectly safe area, with lots of restaurants very close and the subway stop right around the corner.

We've since stayed at the Beacon Hotel when there was a large family trip to NYC, and it's been great. We've had their regular rooms for $145/night and a suite for $185. If fixing meals or having a place to keep leftovers is important to your group, it's GREAT, and I would highly recommend it.