Hotel in NYC (Near Macys/Bloomingdales)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a GREAT hotel near shopping in NYC. Can anyone share their thoughts/experiences?

Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:56 AM

You don't mention price at all so I'll give you choices. You will not find a GREAT hotel near Macy's IMO because it's a lousy area to be located. Very commercial and not near decent restaurants. That said, the Affinia Dumont is not too far and gets good reviews on tripadvisor. The same owners also have the Southgate which is closer to Macy's. I just hate that location.

There is a former Clarion that's now called Hotel 5A I think on Fifth ave & 40 st. Very convenient location for shopping and getting mostly decent reviews on tripadvisor as a good value. It's a short walk from Macy's, across from Lord & Taylor, 10 blocks to Rock Ctr., H & M, etc.

Near Bloomingdales, the closest hotel would be the Melrose but doesn't get great reviews. The Four Seasons at the top end is quite close to Bloomies as is Lyden Gardens, another all suite hotel owned by the Affinia group.

The Fitzpatrick on Lexington (not the one near Grand Central) is also close to Bloomies and gets good reviews.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Macy's is on W 34th St. and Bloomie's is at E 59th, so they're over a mile apart. In between them are literally dozens of hotels. So give us some clues to narrow it down -- closer to one store? Budget? Travel dates?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:46 AM

Besides Macy's and Bloomingdale's - and stuff in between - there are a lot of other places to shop. Many of the designer boutiques are located up Madison avenue and much of the trendy shopping is much farther downtown.

So there really is no one "shopping area" in Manhattan, nor is there one hotel near all the shopping.

Suggest you just pick a nice hotel in an area you like - agreed, it definitely will not be near Macy's - perhaps Central Park South - and then just take the subway - or cab - to whatever shopping you want.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:17 AM
GoTravel

Do you want to shop downtown or Midtown/Upper East Side/57th/Fifth Avenue?

For Upper East Side/57th/Fifth Avenue I suggest The Salisbury, Le Parker Meridian, St. Regis, Four Seasons, The Plaza (suite only because standard rooms can be iffy) or any of the hotels on Central Park South.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM

You might want to try the new Doubletree Hotel on Lexington Ave and 51st street. I just booked there for a weekend in April and got a rate of $156 a night. I booked online - www.Doubltree.com. This is an excellent location. You will be near lots of shopping and within walking distance of Bloomingdales. If you like to walk, you would even be able to walk to Macy's. I've walked from Macy's to Bloomingdales many times. I would not stay in a hotel by Macy's. The area is very crowded and simply not as nice as the east side. Enjoy the city!!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Just a vistor myself...BUT:

Stayed on east side...San Carlos Hotel
Lex/50St. Very nice, close to subway, variety of restaurants, and walking distance to Bloomindales ((and Serendipity's!!!))

Seems like east side, north is the better area. And as long as you are close to subway, you can get to any place.

Couple other hotels in same area....
Kimberly Suites, Metropolitan Hotel.
((no recommendation on these))...just a couple more you may want to investigate.

nytraveler, and mclaurie ....sounds like good advice to me.

NYC.....wow...it was great!