NYC Hotels in Greenwich Village/SoHo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a hotel recommendation for a few days in NYC on a budget - I'd like to stay around $100, definitely under $150. Was hoping to stay in the Village, but it looks like there are some good options in SoHo and nearby. Considering the Gershwin - seems affordable, central, and it has some personality. Any testimonials? Another funky place I heard about was the Carlton Arms. We're big on being out and about, and generally don't spend much time at hotels other than to sleep, but a place with atmosphere would be great. Mainly, looking for a clean, safe hotel with good word of mouth. This will be our first trip there.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:33 PM

www.larchmonthotel.com
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Those hotel you mentioned are in the E. 20s, the Grammercy area. There aren't many hotels in the village. All I can think of is the Washington Sq. Hotel and the Larchmont. There are a few in Soho but they probably all cost $200+. There are some new ones int he meat packing district, but they are all trendy/pricey places. There may be some more reasonable ones in the Chelsea area which is also convenient to G. Village and Soho.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM

As MFNYC says, the Gershwin is not in the village. East 27th is just south of the Murray Hill area of midtown. It gets not great reviews on tripadvisor at this URL.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

In that same general area, look at the Avalon or the Clarion Park Avenue.

In your shoes, I would try bidding on Priceline for a 4 star hotel downtown. You do run the risk of getting the Millenium Hilton which is across from the WTC site, but otherwise, the hotels in that area/star level are the Soho Grand, the Tribeca Grand or 60 Thompson. Read biddingfortravel.com for advice on how to do it. For that matter, you might have a look at the 3 and 4 star places in midtown south.

But if you really want to stay downtown and can't deal with Priceline, there's a new Clarion called the Solita Soho Hotel. Only one review on tripadvisor here
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

Other thoughts (no personal experience)that should fall in your budget and are good from a location standpoint are the

Union Square Inn
Morton St apts.
Minetta St. Suites

These 2 have gotten decent mentions here but will be slightly above your budget
Abingdon Guest House
Inn on 23rd st

The Larchmont that Tracy mentions doesn't have private baths. There are a number of b & bs in addition to these listed on bedandbreakfast.com but without some reviews, I'd be wary. The place listed under the name "Rooms to Let" (for NYC) on Horatio St. is a great location just around the corner from the meatpacking district (very trendy right now) but I don't know what it's like.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I did some more searching last night and ther Gershwin is booked, as were a couple of the other options (and this trip is 7 months out - yikes!), so now I'm getting nervous that I need to book right away. The Larchmont looks good and has good reviews, but I wasn't too sure about the shared bath (though I have done that before in Europe). I also got a tip on the BelleClaire, which is on the upper west side. It looks to be only a couple of blocks from Central Park, which is cool, but I'm not sure how walkable it would be to places we want to see (though of course we will be using the subway sometimes). A lot of the hotels boast their locations in "upscale" areas or near shopping, but I don't see myself hanging out on Fifth Ave. or at Bloomingdale's. What's the word on places to stay where there is lots of life going on around that doesn't require a platinum card? That is kind of why we'd thought of the Village and SoHo in the first place.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:45 AM

central park west would be a good neighborhood.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM

There are also some newer, mid-priced hotels in Chelsea. I've stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton-Chelsea at 25th and 7th and found the neighborhood convenient to lots of things.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Unless you're coming at a holiday period, I can't imagine why places would be booked. Are the places themselves telling you they're full or are you getting this info from a third party website like expedia? I find often that one website says no rooms available while another does have rooms.

The upper west side is a good idea. In addition to the Belleclaire you can check the Beacon, the Lucerne, the Excelsior and the Milburn.

I still think Priceline is a good idea, especially if just for a few days. Also have a look at theparksouthhotel.com (east 20's) for special packages.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Agree that the UWS is a good idea for a budget. there are tons of very goo and inexpensive restaurants - just walk up and down the avenues, check out the menus and see which are crowded with locals. There is also some interesting shop[ping - though not as much as downtown.

You're also close to a bunch of the museums ((AMNH and planetarium) and just across the park to the Met and the guggenheim.

The subway is handy to get to see everything else - and the sights in NYC may be more spread out than you think - you really need to take it most places.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Rob

Some years back the Belleclaire was run down and not a place I would recommend but it has undergone renovations recently. The neighborhood is quiet good, 5 minutes to the subway and less than 10- minute walk to Central Park. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance.