What's close to the Roosevelt in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to stay at the Roosevelt in NYC in early December with my mother and two sisters. Wondered if anyone knew of any close restaurants that were good, deli's, cool shops etc that are in the immediate vicinity? Coffee house maybe? Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Jane, my first suggestion is to read reviews on your hotel at tripadvisor.com There are a bunch of mostly great reviews, many of which mention delis & other places right naerby.

Next place to look is this web page

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?neighborhoodid=2

which seems to list every restaurant in the east 40's (you can also look in the east 50's) & even posts menus.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any "cool" shops in the east 40's since this area is mostly a midtown business area. Ofcourse Saks Fifth is at 49-50 st. H & M is a good inexpensive clothing store across the street from Saks & a new place called Mexx (owned by Liz Claibrone) has just opened right nearby- I think on 52nd.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:24 PM

The Roosevelt is right next to Grand Central Station, which has a number of dining options in varying price ranges.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Not quite a deli, but one of the few Pret a Manger sandwich shops in the US is right around the corner. And as has been stated above, Grand Central has several interesting shops and restaurants.

But unless someone in your group has problems getting around, don't limit yourself to the "immediate vicinity." You're in a great location within an easy walk of the UN, Fifth Avenue, the Chrysler building, just to name a few.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:16 PM

There are lots of shops in the immediate area, and a block over is 5th Ave.

The Roosevelt is on Madison AVe, and very close is DAffy's one of my favs for holiday shopping. Walking up Madsion Ave you will find one of the nicest shopping areas in the city.

Right in the hotel are a few places for coffee and there is even a pastery shop, that is one of the best in the city IN the hotel.

I would buy a Zagat guide and keep it handy as you run around town, it is divided into sections so where ever you are there are good restaurants.

Have a GREAT time and enjoy the city.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:23 AM

Wantsomesun; what is Daffy's? I'm always interested in shops that I haven't been to and since you said it was a fav or yours for holiday shopping I was intrigued! Is it clothing? Home decor?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:08 AM

Daffy's is discount clothing for men & women. There are several locations.