COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Roosevelt in NYC, good choice or would you suggest another?

Old May 17th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Planning to visit NYC June 13-16. Trying very hard to decide on a hotel, but not finding it easy! Many seem to have this problem I see! Leaning towards the Roosevelt at around $115 a night. However, is it a good location? This is our first trip and we will of course want to hit all the top sights, Times Square, Central Park I know I'll love, shopping, theater...I don't know what the area around the Roosevelt is like after dark, safe wise. In a posting I read the area is pretty dead at night. Is that a good thing? I've read a lot about priceline and don't know if we'd be better off bidding for a hotel in that area. I've always liked picking my own hotel. Any suggestions would be great. There are just so many to choose from!

Thanks in advance!
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:14 PM

We've stayed there twice. The first time was totally by accident (long story but we were so pleased with our stay, we chose it the second time.

Its VERY convenient to everything. We walked everywhere or took a quick walk to Grand Central Station in the next block.

While maybe not The Plaza, it was very 'new york' to us...safe, clean, and convenient. We thought the lobby was beautiful! The rooms MORE than sufficent (we somehow landed a HUGE room our second visit, much bigger than the usual NYC norm.) The lounge off the lobby was great for people watching, the concierge was VERY helpful getting us theatre tickets, and the little sandwich shoppe on the lower level had incredible cheesecake, too

We will definitely stay there again the next time we visit NYC. Have a great trip!
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:30 PM

The roosevelt hotel is awesome and yes safe.. I was there last june and stayed at the roosevelt for 4 nites. There is a lounge and restaurant at the hotel. The hotel is located a block from grand central so subway transportation is convenient. We walked to broadway at nite to see a show. There is police presence at every corner. However I would not take the subways at nite and like anywhere else be aware of your surroundings. New York is a great city and there is more to do than you can imagine. Since you mentioned shopping you should check out Canal Street-about 5 blocks of designer knock-offs of purses,sunglasses,watches and bargain for the best price. I'm planning to go to NY in October and I'm staying again at the Roosevelt.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:11 AM

Avella, in your question you say "...Many seem to have this problem..."but don't mention what it is!

The area around the Roosevelt is a business area with office buildings (including the Chyrsler building), Grand Central Station train station (which now has a number of decent restaurants) & shops & restaurants that cater to the business people.

As you can see from previous posters, people seem to like the hotel and the location. For the things you're looking for I would recommend midtown west as a location which is a bit nearer Times Square & the shops on 5th Ave. (The Roosevelt is midtown east) The Gorham hotel might be worth looking at. I don't think it's as "old world NY" as the Roosevelt but perhaps a bit more convenient & lively at night. There's nothing wrong with the Roosevelt though.
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM

It's an excellent location. It's closer to the Fifth Avenue shops, Rockefeller Center and other tourist sites than most hotels in the the West Side.
And, for $115, I'd grab it!
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM

I've stayed there and I don't think you can go wrong with it. You're also a few steps from Grand Central Station which has a great food court. Also, there's a very good deli right next door. See if you can get a corner room.