Reload this Page >

4-day vacation -- LaJolla or Coronado?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Gina

Planning a 4-day trip to California and can't decide between La Jolla or Coronado. It's a short getaway for myself and husband.
Requirements are nice accomodations and pretty beach -- that's it! . . we're pretty easy to please, otherwise. . . . Which would be better? Would like to spend no more than $300/night.
Thanks!
-Gina

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:19 PM
xxx

You can't go wrong with either location. If you stay on Coronado Island, you can take the ferry back and forth to the downtown area.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Janet

I think La Jolla would be best. There is a nice looking hotel on Fay Ave and I believe it is the Empress Hotel. La Valencia is the number one place to stay. Restaurants aand shops close to both, also close to the beautiful shores of La Jolla beach.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:20 AM
Chris

I've visited both and they are beautiful but would recommend La Jolla.The restaurants and shops are great, lots of outdoor cafes, and easy to walk around. You don't have to deal with crossing over the bridge if you want to spend some time visiting San Diego. We go to So. Cal. every year and find ourselves always going back to La Jolla but only went to Coronado once. Coronado was worth the visit,especially wandering around "The Del", but La Jolla keeps drawing us back. Lots of people watching, beautiful sunsets, and the views are spectacular.I don't know the price of "The Del" but their beach is gorgeous. I can only imagine the prices are steep. Probably more choices in La Jolla and beaches are great,too.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM
hannah

Coronado would be best if you're looking for a quiet beach week. If you want to eat at cafes and shop at galleries, La Jolla is it. Either one is very nice.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Barbara

Gina, have you considered Del Mar and L'Auberge del Mar?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:20 PM
linda

I love La Jolla and Coronado Island! I would stay at the Del Coronado (it's right on the beach) and visit La Jolla for the day. The Del Coronado Hotel usually has specials for around $245.00. It's a really special hotel.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:16 AM
max

The Hotel Del Coronado is a great choice for a classy hotel right on a wonderful beach.
La Jolla is also a terrific getaway place, but be aware that "downtown" hotels are not on the beach. However, in "greater" La Jolla on a beach but near downtown is the La Jolla Shores hotel. We stayed there and liked it a lot. There are some good restaurants within walking distance but you really should rent a car to go into La Jolla proper for very good restaurants and sophisticated shopping.
There is another possibly better but more expensive hotel next to the La Jolla Shores you should check out. Both of these hotels should be less than the Hotel Del.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:19 AM
x

if you want a beach, i'd choose coranado. if you stay at la jolla, you'd have to drive to the beach (other then the cover which is small) and parking can be a pain. plus the ferry from coronado to downtown is convenient for a change in restaurants. however, as mentioned above, la jolla is beautiful for sunsets, lots of restaurants and galleries. whenever someone asked me to compare la jolla and coronado, i use to say coronado seemed like classy rich and la jolla seemed preppy rich.