Deciding between a week stay in La Jolla Shores or Coronado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - pricing being equal, i'm trying to decide between the two locations for an April spring break trip.
We're thinking of renting a house in La Jolla Shores neighborhood vs. a home in Coronado. I like the beachy feel of the shores but have never really hung out in Coronado.
It will be two families with 4 little kids (ranging from 1 to 6). Any thoughts?

We'll be doing a good bit of hanging plus excursions (Legoland, Sea World, Zoo, maybe catch a Padres game). Rest of the time will be spent walking around, playing in the sand (might be cold sand at that time of year), riding bikes, BBQ, etc.

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM

Coronado has this broad beach of whitish sand. Otherwise, I personally do not like Coronado too much - it is kind of crowded, especially when there is a large conference at the Hotel Del, and somewhat tacky.

La Jolla is simply lovely. The cliff coast with the park on top of the cliffs is beautiful and so are the sandy coves. Children's Pool with the seals is cute. North of the cliff coast is the wide sandy beach which is perfect for swmming and playing in the sand (the sand is not as white as in Coronado, more yellow, but still very nice).

Besides, La Jolla is a cute town - with nice boutiques, many restaurants and several historical hotels (good for lounge & bar hopping).
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM

I think there are pros and cons to both. I'd pick the one with the nicer house/amenities since you're likely to spend a fair amount of time there. Coronado is closer to the zoo/Balboa Park and you could even go to downtown by ferry from Coronado. The boardwalk in Coronado is pleasant for walks although I think La Jolla Shores has a short boardwalk. Parking in La Jolla village is not easy.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Both are nice but I think with young children Coronado might be better. La Jolla is beautiful and the views with the cliffs are second to none. Depending on where the house is in La Jolla Shores, though, you may have to drive to just about everywhere. As mclaurie said, parking in La Jolla Village is tough and I doubt you will be doing much bar or lounge hopping with 4 little ones.

Again depending on the house location, Coronado is more bike friendly and does have the boardwalk. Coronado can get very busy in the summer but in April shouldn't be too bad. Unless the house is on the other side of town, you'd be able to walk to many of the restaurants and I assume you'd be pushing a stroller. Coronado is closer to most of your excursion locations except for Legoland. You could take one day to go to La Jolla and see the seals and tide pools. You won't be doing any swimming in April!!

I do think mclaurie has a point about the best house. If the house in La Jolla Shores is better then that area would work for you.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Paula1470 - when you mention the boardwalk, what do you mean? Do you mean the path along the beach for strolling or do you mean some sort of area with shops and people? Just getting the lay of the land. The house we are looking at is around the 10th ave and alameda area so we would be about a 10 minute walk to Orange and 20 minute walk to Hotel Del...we would need to drive if we wanted to get to the northern end of Coronado or if we wanted to take the ferry.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM

We just returned from a stay of several days in La Jolla Shores with our DD, SIL, and two grandchildren, one year old and four-and-a-half. We enjoyed several days of temperatures in the 80s and 90s so our planned outing to the SD zoo never materialized--we spent all our time hangin' at the house, on wallks, and at the beach (and I am not 'a beach person'). Water was not truly warm but fine for dedicated body boarders and surfers and eager kids. There was a park with picnic tables, children's playground, showers, and toilets just before the steps to the wide, sandy beach (the street was Vallecitos, I think).

The home we rented (through Southern California Vacation Rentals) was on La Jolla Shores Road, an easy walk to the beach and to a corner store, a yogurt place, a few restaurants , and a bit further away, a Starbucks.

I've never spent time in Coronado but I'd happily return to La Jolla Shores.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kmbp for sharing your experience. We had a similar experience at La Jolla Shores a couple of years ago so I'm thinking of repeating that. I think this go around I'll "gamble" on trying something new with Coronado since i've lived in CA for so long and have yet to venture that way...I usually get stuck in the north shore towns and never leave. Since we'll be there in early spring, i think the town will be more mellow and less touristy.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM

I'll be interested to learn your decision, vova, and how things go whatever you do choose. Our few days with 'the kids' was great fun for all of us and a good way for us to spend time together. We're all looking forward to the next time!