La Jolla or Coronado

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Sue McElroy

La Jolla or Coronado

We're staying in SD for 5 nights. Should we stay at the Marriott on Coranodo or go to the Grande Colonial in La Jolla? We love the ocean.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:09 PM
me

You'll get the Ocean at either place. Coronado has a more secluded feel to it, more like you have left the people back on the other side of the bridge. La Jolla, on the other hand, has many more good restaurants and shops to keep varied interests occupied. Personally, I'd go La Jolla, but both are fun.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:11 PM
kam

Been to LaJolla many times---cute town, not as much fun for a tourist as say Carmel. Next time we're in San Diego we're going to splurge and stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. Beautiful old place and a more secluded feel. Beach is nicer I think that LaJolla which has mostly coves with little beaches except for the great big one---is it Black's Beach. But that's not in downtown LaJolla.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:54 PM
ro

hotel del hands down

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Barbara

Kam, you're probably thnking of La Jolla Shores. Black's Beach is the nude beach and it's quite difficult to reach.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:55 AM
bev

For what it's worth, we were in San Diego a couple of years ago and spent two nights in LaJolla and three nights on Coronado Island (Loews Resort). We had a great time and liked splitting our stay between LaJolla and Coronado.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:35 AM
SDguy

Coronado Marriot faces the Bay and you have to drive or take a bus to see the ocean or to go to the beach. The Grande Colonial is one block from the La Jolla Cove area where there are small beaches and coves but little space to have longs walks on the beach unless you go further north (la jolla shores - 2 miles, Torrey Pines 6 miles or about 1 mile south is Marine St Beach and Windansea which are more "locals" beaches). Both hotels will have nice areas to walk to but La Jolla will have more restaurants. The Marriot is next to the water taxi though and it's only a 10 minute trip to downtown. If moving hotels isn't too much of a hassle I'd try the last suggestion which is to spend part time at both.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
x

i think i'd choose coronado. both are very weathy communities but i'd consider la jolla and "preppy" and coronado as "classy". the marriott get great reviews. you will have to walk to the beach over at hotel del for swimming but you can also head south and beach along "the strand" which is never crowded. there is a water tax from the island to downtown which will give you access to plenty of restaurants.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Pamela

I stayed at the Coronado Marriott. The rooms were very nice. I have heard some negative things about the Hotel Del though. I guess that some rooms there are very old and small. We walked over there one day and weren't overly impressed. The Marriott was just fine for us.