Search

Where to stay near San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay near San Diego?

Hi
My husband and I are traveling to San Diego in early January. We have been there a couple of times and stayed in the Gas Lamp area and the Marina. We would like to stay by the ocean this time. We did a day trip to Coronado last time we visited and l loved it but it is very pricey during the time we want to visit. We would like to be walking distance to area restaurants and bars as well as some shops. We have looked at Pacific Terrace Hotel and The Catermaran. We would welcome any suggestions.
Thank you!!
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could also check out hotels in La Jolla. Nicer restaurants and bars overall, IMO.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM

How long will you be staying? Are you active? What do you like to do if it is too cool to be on the beach? Back when our son first moved to San Diego, we stayed at Catamaran many times, but you may wish to move a bit farther north. As to La Jolla, their ocean front hotels are very pricey, but do check the large hotel (not sure which chain it is) at La Jolla Shores. Quiet, lovely beach for kayaking, good restaurants nearby (Piatti a long-time fave, been there for many years). Also consider Carlsbad, where the beach downtown is flanked with a wonderful walking path along the bluff above the sand, restaurants are minutes away, you're close to the 5 for easy access downtown or up to Orange County. As to Orange County, ave you been to Laguna Beach?
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 02:38 PM

I think the La Jolla Shores is a good place if you want to be literally on the beach.

La Jolla Shores is a very small beach community with lots of great restaurants including as Alice mentioned, Piatti's. Also within walking distance are great diving, kayaking, snorkeling and surfing operators/shops.

These are the two hotels:

1. La Jolla Shores Hotel at 8110 Camino del Pro

2. La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club at 2000 Spindrift Lane.

Aloce also mentioned Carlsbad which is about 40 to 60 min drive North of downtown San Diego and a great beach community. I would recommend the Carlsbad Inn it also sits on the beach.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Camino del Oro not Pro.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:59 PM

You could look at Encinitas. Cute shops, walkable and a variety of restaurants. Smaller town feel than La Jolla.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have stayed at Catamaran and Blue Sea. Liked both. Blue Sea is part of the Pacifica Hotels group. They also have a place in La Jolla. Sign up for specials they may run.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/?nomob=yes
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:51 PM

La Jolla in the village would be your best bet.
Check out the Empress, Colonial Inn, La V or La Jolla Cove suites..

LJ Travelodge or the Inn at the Sea in LJ..
Depends on time in January, you might get a 5* before Torrey comes to town.

I like the LJ Shores too..
Sometimes, it can be too pricey vs.other properties but one of the best beaches in So. Cal.

Whalen watching is going off in January.
You can see them off the coast in LJ.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:01 AM

Don't care for the 'village' of LaJ at all these days, except for some great restaurants, the shores and the large hotel facing the water is best bet. Downtown Encinitas is ok, but downtown Carlsbad at the northern end of city has more to offer for access to points north and south. However, the Best Western Moonlight Beach sits atop a bluff with good views of the quintessential Moonlight Beach, has just been redone; however you need to cross the PCH/101 to walk to beach (2 blocks). How much remains on your wish-list for sights in San Diego rather than the northern beach towns? If you wish to treat yourselves, save a couple nights for the Inn at Laguna Beach, another hour north from Carlsbad. Not sure of your schedule. Are you golfers?
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 07:14 AM

The OP is looking for an ocean-front hotel in San Diego. La Jolla is in San Diego, Laguna Beach is not even in San Diego County. La Jolla "village" is lovely. Excellent restaurants and good shopping. Also, not too far from anywhere else in San Diego.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 07:48 AM

La Jolla village is nice but during the high season, it is a mess of traffic and crowded. Parking is a premium and also impossible. But it is still beautiful and nice. The La Jolla Village is much larger than the La Jolla Shoes neighborhood, which is smaller population wise and more walkable without a car.

But in early January I think you will be fine in Pacific Beach, La Jolla Shores or La Jolla Village, Carlsbad, etc. The crowds and parking problems will be minimal. The weather normally is cooler but blue skies. Ocean temps will be cold (around low 60's).
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Barbara there aren't very many hotels (that I know of) that are on the ocean in the La Jolla Village area. There are some with ocean views like La Valencia but the majority are not. One is across the street from the Cove but with the stench from the sea lions right now it wouldnt appeal to some.

The Shores has two hotels that sit right on the sand.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 08:21 AM

nanabee, The Shores is still La Jolla. I'm know La Jolla fairly well, even though I don't live in that community. My own prefernce would be the hotels at the Shores. However, there are many more restaurants and shops in the Village area. It depends on the OP's priorities.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Carlsbad or encinitas would be my choice if you are not planning on driving back to SD a lot. it is 30-40 minutes back to SD depending on time of day. If you want to go back for a day I would take the Coaster which is cheap and no driving.

For right on the beach I would go for Beach Terrace Inn in Carlsbad - not cheap but right on the ocean and a lovely place to stay. I have Also stayed at Carlsbad Inn which has nice amenities and is across the street from the Ocean. You can check out beach umbrellas, beach chairs, boards for free. Ocean Palms Resort in Carlsbad is one I have not stayed out but will next time. lovely grounds, like being in Hawaii. Also across the street from the beach as well. There is also a Hilton right on the cost in Carlsbad if you like chain hotels and want to build or use points.

La Jolla is lovely but not as quaint as Carlsbad in my opinion and Carlsbad has the Flower Fields which is a lovely place to visit as well as some nice restaurants and shops.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Shar, even though I live in La Jolla I agree Carlsbad is a quaint and cute area. I would recommend it as well. But it depends on how far from the main tourist attractions the OP wants when they say North of San Diego. Carlsbad is a pretty far drive from the zoo, Embarcadero, Old Town, Coronado, Balboa Park, etc. It is almost an hour by car maybe less if there is a slow traffic day.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 09:38 AM

I agree with nanabee. Also, there are no flowers to see in January.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 11:48 AM

I've been to San Diego many times, choosing staying in different areas. On Mission Bay, I've stayed at the Bahia, a "sister" property of the Catamaran. Pats are "dated' but clean, and with reasonable prices.

On a trip in a few weeks, we are for first time staying at La Jolla Holiday Inn Express, in the new suites building, a five minute walk to the ocean. Also very reasonably priced

Just north of la Jolla is Del Mar, where you'll find lovely Torrey Pines State Beach. Check the Del Mar Hotel on the Beach. I haven't stayed, but considered it.

Finally, you mentioned visitng Coron ado . Did you specifically mean the Hotel Del's beach? Indeed that hotel is, as you say above,verypricey...but there are other, less expensive hotels on Coronado Island
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:12 PM

The La Jolla Holiday Inn is on a busy street so ask for a room away from the street if possible. But it is really convenient to Windansea Beach and some restaurants. And behind the main street is a nice residential area. It should be great.

Down the block about 1 mile north I recommend Ranchos Verde Mexican, then on Pearl I like So Pescadore and The Taco Stand.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:21 PM

Any restaurant suggestions for La Jolla Shores?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Coaster if you want to stay outside of San Diego on the beach and still visit SD. Cheap and convenient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -