Shopping in La Jolla, CA.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to stay in La Jolla for a weekend. I found some great looking hotels with reasonable prices, but my wife keeps rejecting my ideas. She wants to stay within walking distance of the shopping and night life. I want to stay within walking distance of the beach. I have no idea which hotels are close to the shopping, in fact I have no idea where the shopping is. Can anyone give me some hotels that are within walking distance to shopping and nightlife?
Thank you,
Mike
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:56 AM
ltt

there are nice shops in la jolla. mostly galleries and clothing stores. very nice to waunder around but upper scale. and you'd be close to the ocean. lots of great restaurants there too. be careful that when the hotel has a la jolla address. there is the center of la jolla which is the area i'm talking about but there are some hotels around the freeway or residential areas that say la jolla. give us the specific ones your considering and we could let you know.
one of the big malls is called horton plaza. it is downtown. you could walk along the water at the harbour but you wouldn't be at a beach or swimmable water.
the other shopping area is mission valley that has two malls in it but in my opinion, a lousy place to stay. close to all freeways to get around but considering how many beutiful places there are in san diego, this is not one of them.
i'd say go with la jolla. there's probably enough shops to entertain your wife and you could go to horton plaza for an hour or two if needed. (she can shop, you can go waunder the harbour.)
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Some points to add: La Jolla is a few miles north of San Diego, where Horton Plaza is actually located. It's a 15-20 minute drive, and it's a nice outdoor mall.

La Jolla itself has good shopping in the central area, the Village. The main streets there are Prospect and Girard, and there are little boutiques up and down these roads. The Grande Colonial is a historic property on Prospect, just a block or two from the shopping drag and a couple of blocks from the beach. It's intimate and comfortable, with great views from all rooms.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

The hotels I found that look pretty good,
La Jolla Cove Shores
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
Hotel La Jolla @ The Shores
Radisson Hotal La Jolla.
I checked out The Grande Colonial, its a 4 night minimum, we only have time for 3 nights.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM

The Hyatt Regency La Jolla is actually in San Diego. It sits on La Jolla Village Drive, immediately east of I-5. La Jolla begins just west of I-5. The Radisson is in La Jolla, immediately west of I-5 and is parallel to the Hyatt Regency. Both are in a primarily residential area about a 10-minute drive from the beach. The other two hotels on your list are down in the village and would be better choices if you want to be near the beach.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All of these hotels are in San Diego because La Jolla is a suburb of San Diego.

Did you look at La Valencia Hotel and the Hotel Parisi? There is a Best Western close to the "village" area where all the shopping.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Barbara, you may be right! I honestly thought La Jolla was its own incorporated city. But in any case, it is a de facto suburb of San Diego, since it's so close.

Great hotel suggestions, by the way. I forgot about them.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Checked out La Valencia and Parisi, just alittle more than we wanted to spend. But I got the idea that we want to be close to the village, the Best Western seems to be in a good location.
Thanks to all,
Mike.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're welcome,Mike. Be sure to have lunch upstairs at George's at the Cove. It's more casual and less expensive than the downsatirs restaurant and, although the menu is different, the food is just as good. The view is fabulous. You really need a reservation or you may have to wait quite a while. Fortunately, there is a very pleasant bar one level down. Have a great time.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:48 PM

The Hyatt Regency La Jolla is in San Diego. So is the Embassy Suites La Jolla. Both of them have an address of San Diego, CA 92122.

The Radisson La Jolla, the Marriott La Jolla, La Jolla Cove and Hotel La Jolla are in La Jolla, CA 92037.

Which wouldn't mean squat except visitors need to know that hotels in the UTC/La Jolla area are not walking distance to the beach--even if the hotel has a La Jolla name, address and zip code.

If you want to be near the beach in "downtown" La Jolla, don't choose the Hyatt Regency La Jolla, Embassy Suites La Jolla, Radisson La Jolla, Marriott La Jolla, the Hilton Torrey Pines, or the Residence Inn La Jolla. They're all nice hotels, but if you stay there you will need a car to get to the beach.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:55 AM
ltt

the best western is in a good location. 5 minute walk to the beach and just a block off one of the main street. my mom stayed there once. she was happy with it. your typical best western.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that parking can be hard to find in La Jolla; therefore, I think it's better to stay in the "village" so you can just leave your car at your hotel and walk everywhere.