Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coolest-boutique type hotel in San Diego area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Looking to spend second half of a week vacation in San Diego and would like to stay at the best place, meaning nicest, most modern rooms. I'd like a pool and to be walking distance to restaurants and shops.. I was thinking La Jolla but can't find a cool hotel there. We are two adults and a baby. HELP
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Hi Melodyt13... La Jolla is a nice place to stay, and the Hyatt Regency is very nice... not that close to shopping, but La Jolla mall (UTC) it's about 4 blocks up. If you want to be closer to Downtown San Diego, there's the Hyatt Manchester (no, I'm not working for Hyatt and the Marriot... bay view, shooping really close, and there should be other nice hotels close to that. La Jolla is nice and conservative in many ways... as would be Coronado and Del Mar. On the other hand, Certain parts of Downtown can be nice but noisy... Have a good trip!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:28 PM

The Hyatt Regency is not in La Jolla. There is a very nice Best Western Inn by The Sea and Empress Hotel of La Jolla both on Fay Ave. close to all shops and restaurants. La Jolla is beautiful and a great place to eat and walk around.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For a boutique-type hotel in La Jolla, take a look at the Hotel Parisi. There is a brand new W Hotel in downtown San Diego which might also fit your criteria.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Stay at the new Suites/Cottages at the La Valencia in La Jolla if you can afford it. Look at their website. Meets all of your requirements. Hotel Parisi is a very nice cool botique hotel but no pool- meets the other requirements though. It's across the street from La V.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:59 AM
ltt

definitly not the hyatt regency in "la jolla". one side faces the freeway and the other side is residential. the mall is about a 10-15 minute walk. the best western on faye is nothing fancy but my guests were happy with it. great location.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Do people still read the questions? Melody asked for a best, coolest boutique hotel in San Diego area. With the exception of Barbara and traveldude, the rest are recommending Best Western???? Unless something has changed BW is not what I would call a boutique hotel. I'm not saying that it's not a nice place, but does it really answer Melody's request?
Sorry Melody, I don't know the San Diego area to help you out in this case, but I do hope there will be some more real suggestions.
Have a great vacation!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:52 PM

let's face it, San Diego is not a "cool" place, especially La Jolla (lots of older rich republicans. Not that there's anything wrong with that !). As mentioned above, the W would be the closest thing to a boutique hotel in San Diego.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I checked out all of the recommendations and the W San Diego does seem the coolest, but the location sounds iffy...It sounds far from the Gaslamp area and the beach and it sounds like a business hotel...The Parisi looks good on the Web also, but no pool... ugh, this is driving me nuts!
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think this would qualify as a boutique hotel, but it's definitely worth looking at. L'Auberge Del Mar, in Del Mar. Very close to a fabulous beach and walking distance to many restaurants and shopping.

You're quite right, the W is nowhere near a beach, but it's not too far from the Gaslamp.