San Diego--Hyatt La Jolla at Aventine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me about this hotel? I made a bid on priceline and this is the hotel I was assigned. From the website it looks nice, but I know that websites can look much nicer than the actual thing! Let me know if you have any information. Thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice hotel. The Aventine also is home to a good gym (The Sporting Club) and several excellent restaurants.

However, you are not in La Jolla proper, but it's only a 5-10 minute drive to the beach at La Jolla Shores and to the "village" where the shops and more restaurants are.

Because the hotel is close to I-5, you will be able to get wherever you want to go quite quickly. There is a mall quite close, called University Towne Center (the university close by is UC San Diego)and there are more good restaurants close to the mall.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:42 AM

I live across the street from the Hyatt Regency La Jolla and I agree with everything Barbara said. It is a very nice hotel, but the area is primarily residential (condos and apartments), although there are two shopping centers immediately west of I-5 and University Towne center Mall is less than a mile away (at La Jolla Village Drive and Genesee).

The Aventine at La Jolla is part of the hotel complex and has several nice restaurants including Cafe Japengo (Japanese), 808 (Asian and French), Flemings Steakhouse, and 3 or 4 others. For more info, see www.aventine.com

Don't worry, this is a very nice hotel. (In fact, the Raiders stayed there during the 2003 Superbowl). Enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Barbara or Walkabout...or anyone else out there.

We will not have a car during our stay in San Diego. Is this going to cause huge problems for us? How hard will it be to find public transport to/from the beach/malls/restaurants?

Thanks for the feedback on the hotel. I'm excited for the trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really have no idea whether or not any busses go past the Aventine. Perhaps walkabout has a better idea as he/she lives right there.

It is problematic not having a car in San Diego and in this particular location, with no access to the Trolley, even more so. There definitely are busses at the University Towne Center mall, so you may have to take a cab there, then get the bus.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM

I live in this area. If you have a car, you're in a great location because of the proximity to the freeway system. If you don't have a car, you're stuck on top of a mesa, with nothing within walking distance but the mall and forced to rely on only the bus system -- which in this area is not set up for tourist transportation. The best thing you can do would be to rent a car.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I agree that this is a good location if you have a car. Without it, you will have to take cabs or rely on public transportation to get to the beaches, downtown, and other locations. There are restaurants at the hotel complex and along La Jolla Village Drive. There are also movie theaters about two blocks away at La Jolla Village Square and La Jolla Village Center. However, there is little else within walking distance that would interest a tourist.

There is a bus stop right around the corner from the hotel, on La Jolla Village Drive at Lebon, which you can take to University Towne Center (UTC) mall. From UTC you can catch buses to downtown San Diego, La Jolla, and most parts of San Diego. However, in some instances it will take you over an hour to traverse a distance that would take 20 minutes in a car.

To get an idea of distances and times using public transportation, please go to www.sdcommute.com. Click on Expanded Trip Planner. For example, to get to the beach and shopping area in La Jolla, use University Towne Center as your starting point and La Jolla Caves as your destination. You would get off on Torrey Pines Rd. and walk about 5 blocks to the beach.(The website says .4 miles).

Cabs in San Diego are pricey. Even in non-rush hour, it costs me about $30 to get from my house to the airport, which is only 15-20 minutes away. You might be better off renting a car, if only for part of the time. I don't know what the parking rate is at the hotel, but there is also street parking available near the hotel (no meters).