Help! Going to San Diego/La Jolla, CA - need advise on hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to San Diego/La Jolla area the last week in October. We are considering staying in La Jolla at the Best Western near the beach or in Del Mar on Camino del Mar road. Will be visiting the Zoo, Old Town, Seaport Village, would like to tour naval ships if possible. Don't want to stay in Missiion Valley or Hotel Circle. We are renting a car. Really need R & R, we enjoy walking, sightseeing and sunsets. I am an amateur photographer. Don't want to spend over 120.00/nite if possible. I keep hearing about bidding for travel and wondered if anyone has had good experiences using them. Any ideas, tips and advice would be most appreciated!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:02 PM

We stayed at the Empress for $95 a night.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:07 PM

That was on Travelocity.com in LaJolla. I got some great photos of the seals and sunset there.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM

I live in SD. I suggest you not stay in Del Mar because you will spend a lot of time driving. Sounds like you want to sightsee. If not a La Jolla hotel you might think about downtown which would be easy access to the places you mentioned you want to visit. There are two Holiday Inns on Harbor Drive I think. Easy walk to Seaport Village; you could also take the ferry across to Coronado. I also like the location of the Empress in La Jolla. Easy walking from this hotel to everything in La Jolla. I'm not familiar with the Best Western, but anything in La Jolla should be okay. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:25 AM

We stayed in that Best Western and it was very nice. Ask for an upper floor - we had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony. Its also just around the corner from the Hard Rock Cafe, and other restaurants and shoppes. At the time, they had an internet station in the lobby; it didn't work very well, but they were trying
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:37 AM

We just spent a fabulous weekend at the Marriott in San Diego Harbor. Gorgeous grounds, excellent rooms. It is literally connected to Seaport Village (a short walk),and a slightly longer walk takes you to the Maritime Museum (where you can board three old ships). You are also walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter for tons of great restaurants and nightlife, and easy driving distance to Old Town and Balboa Park (home of the zoo and great museums),La Jolla, and Coronado Island. Marriot has their two-for-breakfast deals, where you can get a sumptuous brunch each morning, and even free parking, so you might be able to meet your price guidelines even without a bidding service (not sure). The rooms with "city view" are less expensive, but the harbor view is so spectacular, it may be worth the difference. Definitely worth a shot.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:59 AM
ltt

personally, i would not find the hotels in downtown the most relaxing. also, i doubt you'd get the marriott for under $120. the best western in la jolla is the most budget friendly place in la jolla. it's your basic best western but only a 5 minute walk to the beach and the village with all the shops/restaurants are right there too. should you decide to "bid" for a hotel, be aware that several (hyatt, empress) have la jolla addresses but are really in residential/business areas and you will need to drive to get anywhere nice.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. As a result I have narrowed it down to staying in La Jolla at the Best Western. I've read the location is great. I've been told that rates drop down significantly in the Fall. Since we are travelling there the last week in October, should I wait a while before booking and see if I can get into a better hotel for a great price? Would someone comment on which road to take go to downtown San Diego, either the scenic route closer to t he coast or jump on I-5. Thanks to everyone!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM

We always stay at the Best Western Inn by the Sea in LaJolla. Complimentary breakfast is included and the staff was always very helpful. Just let them know where you're headed, and they will let you know exactly what roads to take to get there. We love the hotel for the location, it's always fun to walk around the village in the evening and you don't have to find a parking place (impossible in LaJolla). Don't wait to make your reservations, cuz as they get booked up, the rates sometimes go up. Ask for the entertainment discount or AAA and the rate should be great! And try the Brockton Villa in LaJolla for lunch or Alfonso's for mexican food. Have Fun!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I still have not booked my reservations for San Diego/La Jolla. Contacted the San Diego Visitors Bureau and they said the first week of Oct., they'd send their discount coupons and brochures. Am I crazy to wait that long to book a hotel room for 7 days in la Jolla. I am thinking of either the Empress on Fay Street or the Best Western also on Fay Street, La Jolla. I read parking near the La Jolla beach area is impossible but is it so even in late October? Anyone out there stayed at the Empress and would you please comment on it. I have heard excellent things about the Best Western so I may end up there.

My husband wants to tour an aircraft carrier, anyone know if this possibility exists in the San Diego area. I here there is a Fleet Week celebration in October, but we will not be there for those dates. Thanks all, Ginita
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends which La Jolla beach area you mena. Parking anywhere near the Cove is always, year round, all day, very difficult. Parking at La Jolla Shores ( a much better beach, IMO) should be no problem. There is a large parking lot there which does fill up quickly in the summer. By the end of October, unless we have a Santa Ana (hot winds from the desert which can raise the temperatures into the 90s), you shouldn't have any difficulty.

As for touring an aircraft carrier...I'm not sure if there is one here right now. I think there is, but not sure. They are rarely open to the general public for tours, especially now.