Search

Cancun or Aruba?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:08 AM
NotSure

Cancun or Aruba?

Can't decide between the two, has anyone been to both? I've been to Cancun several times and was thinking about Aruba instead.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:36 AM
gail

I have been to both and Aruba is much better than cancun. The beach is beautiful and it is so much cleaner than cancun---and you can drink the water without getting sick. we stayed at the holiday inn on palm beach and it was very nice. the restaurant is very reasonable there--i would never go to cancun again -but aruba --yes.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:36 AM
cece

No question about it! Head to Aruba!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:58 AM
Dina

The opinions about Cancun (on the Latin America boeard) and Aruba (on the Caribbean board) are much more numerous than you'll find here.

If you like Cancun, these will be the differences: the best hotels on Aruba aren't as nice as the best on Cancun.
The constant winds on Aruba keep the weather arid and comfortable, but spray the sand like little pellets, so the beach can often be annoying if you're laying on the sand (this is not a problem at the pools and in the water).
The weather in Aruba is much more predictable and comfortable. Almost never rains, rarely even clouds up.
Aruba is a desert island. Cacti abound. No grass. Just a rocky/sandy terrain. Not lush in any way.
Water is 100% safe and plenty of good restaurants.
Great, long beaches.
No hassling of tourists by poor locals because there isn't much poverty on Aruba. Very safe and clean island.

One big criticism by travel junkies is that Aruba feels very McDonalds-ish. It has very little local flavor or culture (much like Cancun).
Some find it boring for that reason.

Personally I detest Cancun because it's just like a strip mall of beach hotels and services from the US. Like the generic parts of Phoenix or Miami transplanted into Mexico. Not exacly what I call classy or culturally unique, like say, Barbados or Bermuda.

Aruba is a watered down version of Cancun. Cleaner, less hassle with water and food, etc. But still flat on character.
Great weather, great beaches, very relaxing. Those are Aruba's selling points. I enjoyed it there more than Cancun.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:22 PM
pam

Well said Dina. If you like Cancun, you will definitely like Aruba.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
Dont go

Anywhere but Cancun unless you are a college student.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
xxx

Thank you all for your replies. I just did realize I posted this on the wrong board.