10 days between NYC and where else?

Apr 13th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

10 days between NYC and where else?

I am helping my french sister-in-law prepare a trip with two teenagers to NYC and she has decided to take also them other places in those 10 days.
she does NOT want to drive. So, must be places easily accessible from NYC, with some interest for teens.

I have suggested Washington, D.C., Alexandria, and perhaps Boston, or some coastal town on the way, and/or Niagara Falls/Toronto.

Any suggestions as to length of time in each place, easiest travel mode (trains?) will be appreciated.

They arrive and leave from NYC.(JFK)in July.

Apr 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Definitely Washington DC my home town! The Vietnam Vet's Memorial, the new Toulouse LaTrec (sp?) exhibit at the Nat Gallery... it's all good.

Steve
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM

In 10 days - and assuming flights are in and out of NYC - she should go only north or southe - not both.

I too would reco Washington for 3 days of so. With perhaps a day stop in Philadelphia if she wants. The other obvoius choice is Boston - but not somuchh to do as Washington.

Her third choice is some sort of beach resort for several days - but these will mostly be difficult without a car.
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM

If you choose Washington DC, you MUST go to the Spy Museum. It is a private, not public, space. It will take most of the day, so go early.

I believe you can purchase tickets before hand. They only allow a certain number of people in every hour, to keep crowding down.

Sneak in a sandwich & drink. I don't think you can leave & return, and it will take all day. It is very interactive and much fun, even for adults.

Another plus for kids in DC: the space museum, and the new Native American museum.
Apr 20th, 2005, 12:05 AM

I'd spend three days in New York, three days in Washington, a day in Baltimore, a day in Philadelphia, back to New York for another day then depart . All are accessible by train. It would take forever to get to Toronto/Niagara Falls from NY. She needs to save that for another trip. This itinerary would have her and her teens spending a minimum amount of time traveling and she would be in places with lots for the teens to do. Once she's firm on the cities, post again with suggestions of what to do.
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot.
i totally agree with this type itinerary. will see if i can convince her.
chicago.. toronto..montreal..boston.
she keeps throwing out these names..
i will see what i can do with all these suggestions.. let her know my opinion, and get off the project.

Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Boston .. is for sure the place to go .. it manageable for sure ... lots to see and do .. coastal towns to visit as well as downtown ... Grea city to get around in .. You will not be sorry ..
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

would also consider baltimore maryland...wonderful national aquarium, take a water taxi ride to fells point for lunch. a really interesting short hop by train into lancaster, pennsylvania...go see the amish country. i have been there with several european tour groups, they adore the area.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Are they girl teens or boy teens or one of each? NYC for three days is terrific -- take the train down to Washington DC for another three days. It would be great if they could take at least a daytrip to the beach -- anyone know of any? Maybe there's an Anapolis B&B or hotel that would be useful -- Spend half a day and and a night in Annapolis, do a daytrip from there to the beach (cross the Chesapeake Bay via an impressive bridge on the way) another night in Annapolis, then to Baltimore for a day and perhaps a night, before training it back to NYC. She might have to rent a car to do the Annapolis thing unless maybe she took the train from DC to BWI Airport, had a Blue Van or limo them from the airport to Annapolis (and back when it is time) they they could take the lightrail from the airport to Baltimore....it sounds complicated, but you know, it really isn't too bad.

I was assuming they were coming in the summer -- am I right?